Surveyor said "major problems" - subsidence potentially. Views??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I would welcome some views please. Looking to buy a garden flat in Southwest London. I spoke with our surveyor yesterday and his view was the house had major problems. I don't as yet have his report. Considering London and hence likely some clay and some movement expected etc, Im not sure if the size of the problem...

I normally take house reports with a pinch of salt, some much caveats etc. But guess the options I got is to;
1. Get other experts to review it, thereafter decision
2. Buy it, but ask for some discount

Im not too worried if some work in the end would be required (I can take the risk and shared with the other freeholders), main worry would be if they need to underpin and hence lower resell value.

Before I start to spend money on other expert views, solicitor etc, I would welcome some views from you guys. Normal old Victorian problems or looks like a big problem?? :)

Some history;
- Victorian detached house built around 1890 (so likely only 0.6m foundation)
- Extension built around 1986
- Southwest London (SW15)
- Some big trees, but they are around 20m away
- Some small cracks in the front
- Cant find any history of problems. (also a probate, so cant ask previous owner)

29129gp.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'd use some of your city money to get a structural report done.

Thanks - so far only a full building survey. The guy said it was impossible to say unless a 12 month review on changes. So wasn't sure what a charted surveyor / structural engineer etc could figure out unless they do holes to check foundations or remove plastering etc - not really an option when I don't own it.

So I thought it was down to experience and the likely odds it may be a big problem or not. I don't have that much knowledge around this type of problem...

Sponsored Links
What you need to find out from your surveyor, is why, based on all the evidence, he thinks it is one cause instead of another.

If you have had a full building survey, then there should be sections describing the issues, then another discussing all the potential causes, then a conclusion detailing why based on all the evidence, one particular cause is more likely than another.

If there are no alternatives discussed, then it's not a proper diagnosis or report, and can't be relied on.

Thanks woody. Will do.

My worry will be he is one of the type of guys that will build up some reasons on why it may be subsidence... but wont give any views if likelihood is towards 10% or more towards 90%... just that it "may" be a problem and require 12 months of monitoring prior a conclusion can be made. That wont help me much when Im trying to figure out next steps.

My gut feel is I may need a second opinion, but I will wait for the report and as you point out.

Picture 1 looks as though the bricks above the window have moved in the past, and the gaps filled, but if they have put in uPvc windows in the old casements, then it could just be the lintel hasn't been reinforced (or even put in). Picture 2 is more worrying, in that the lintel has a crack in it, but I still couldn't say that it's subsidance.

But as long as there is adequate buildings insurance in place, then it'll only cost the excess amount (normally £1000) so you need to look through the insurance policy to check the conditions.

If there is subsidance, then it could work in your favour.

Thanks both.
@endecotp - I will see if I can get hold of the others to see if they know anything. (might be easier said than done)
@Doggit - sorry if Im thick, but "work in my favour"... how do you mean?
Im pretty sure they have a solid insurance and probably only excess of £1k, so you are right fixing it will not cost a lot. But IF I in the end needed to underpin and thereafter had to disclose it - likely big drop of resell value. If someone sees "subsidence problem", after googling, so many people seem to recommend "walk away".

If there is subsidance, then it'll lower the cost of the house, but once it's been fixed, then although the insurance premiums will be higher, the value of the house will come back up. Some buyers will avoid a place that's had subsidance, but lots of people will be more than happy that the insurance company has resolved it. In london, there isn't enough spare properties for people to be picky.

Ok - I follow you.

Guess it comes down to if I can show enough to the vendors of the subsidence risk element to discuss a price reduction or not (prior fully proven)... Seems like no surveyors want to say either way until more "evidence" or monitored over a long period (Im not saying I have any better ideas though). That is my limited conclusions after trying to read up on it.

Seen plenty of London properties with similar cracks,usually where alterations have taken place.
Did you get a chance to see any other external walls ? Have a peek at next door property,any similar cracks.Sometimes the freeholders building insurance certificate will mention exterior cracks or additional payments/clauses for suspected subsidence.

I would be more concerned about noise/sound insulation issues if its a house conversion. Buy it for what you think its worth.Not what others think its worth.

Good Luck.

Thanks - will see if I can get hold of that insurance. Didn't know it might have details like that. I have tried to peak over as much as possible to neighbours, hard to say, but they look ok.

I got my view on value for me, but harder to say about resell value due to people seem to be very nervous about "potential subsidence issue".

I'm not convinced you've got subsidance problems, but like everything, if you have, then it's manageable.

We have worked on quite a few in Putney / Fulham most have cracking somewhere. The single story extension may have contributed as I have seen steels v poorly fitted by suspect workers.
The cracks however have been pointed in before and have opened up some ( 1 ) and that mess at ( 2) as doggit said

And they always sell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back