surveyors and safety

10 Feb 2004
Reaction score
United Kingdom
A friend has just bought a 3 bed semi for just under £300,000 and the surveyors report mentioned the porch roof and a few suspect tiles on the pitched roof where an old solar power system had been removed. That was all that was mentioned as needing further inspection.

Once the deal had gone through I went to help him move in and the CU has a few blanking plates missing and there is a length of 2.5 t + e running out of the cu into a switch then outside and in a few lengths of overflow pipe (not connected to each other so hanging on the wire where they've separated) down the garden into the garage. Probably a 50 metre run.

I've suggested getting a split load board fitted and replacing the t + e with swa.

Is this something the surveyor should have picked up on? and is there anything he can do to recover his expenses with the surveyor if can be proven that they have not satisfactorily carried out their duties?

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Just guessing, If it was a structual survey, I would not expect electrics to be covered. (Maybe if it was obvious to a structual survey, he would have made a note.)

edit: just found the following
Structual Survey
mortgage glossary
A structural survey is a detailed examination of the structural condition of a property by a surveyor or other qualified person.

A structural survey will usually list all the major and minor defects of the building and draw attention to maintenance work will is likely to be required in the future.

Structural surveys will be more detailed than a home buyers report or a valuation and are often used by buyers to help reduce the asking price before exchange of contracts.

Structural surveys are also referred to as building surveys or full structural survey.
Yes I would have thought it depended on the type of survey he had.
I agree, most structural surveyors will not be expert in electrical, though I would imagine many would suggest an electrical inspection just to cover themselves...

If on the other hand it was supposed to cover electrical then certainly there would be a case for claiming something.

Having said that, in the real world the only way would be to sue someone and the costs involved would probably exceed the cost of putting the problem right himself...

Might be best just to get it sorted and move on imho.

Sponsored Links
Most surveyors will recommend both gas and electrical installations should be checked by suitably qualified tradesmen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local