Suspect immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This afternoon it became clear that we had no hot water.

All our hot water comes from an immersion heater. It works overnight and heats a large tank of water - the arrangement is called 'Heatwise.' Our gas boiler only runs the central heating.

When I checked the electrical relay box the one marked 'Heatwise' had tripped. I was able to reset it and use the manual boost setting. The light on the immersion heat switch is on and I can feel some heat in the pipework.

I had already arranged a visit from British Gas. I don't know if I ought to cancel it or not. Does anyone have any idea what would cause it to trip? All the other electrics in the house seem ok so I don't think that there were any problems with the mains supply.

Sponsored Links
The name "heatwise" must be ironic, where is the sense of heating your water with electricity when you have a gas boiler in the house, keep your appointment with british gas, the rcd,s trip when the stats and/or immersion heaters start to get worn.

Yes 'Heatwise' is a complete stitch up. Not only do you loose the security of having the boiler as a back up you also can't switch your electricity supplier easily as only two offer the 'Heatwise' tariff. This was a new house and you often seem to get odd arrangements when you buy from the big builders.

Might be worth getting a quote to put in a standard cylinder and run it off an s plan, Iwould think you would get your money back in a few years.

Sponsored Links
Have you got 2 immersion heaters?If so,the heatwise one is obviously fooked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back