Suspected leak in roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Saw this in my mum's loft. Think the black sheet , is that the membrane has a hole in it. It's wet on the hip below and boards. She's selling, what can I do to rectify?
20220204_104446.jpg
20220204_104440.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like a valley leak.
I would expect the valley to be purpose made valley tiles under interlocking roof tiles.
No fix its strip and replace

It looks like a hip? And yes the black stuff is roofing membrane - its sometimes badly fitted with sagging in the wrong places.
Could you please post a couple of pics showing the outside?
Whatever, as above, you will probably need to strip for a proper repair.

Sponsored Links
Corpus Christi College?
I'm afraid I didnt go to Oxford but I did OK at the local Building College.

Looks like a valley leak.
I would expect the valley to be purpose made valley tiles under interlocking roof tiles.
No fix its strip and replace
Do I need to strip tiles and replace large amount of membrane then put tiles back on?

Is there a quick repair which could be done, mum's moving soon?

best replace the run of felt up the centre of the valley after the valley has been removed.
to leave it for another isn't nice . there is no ten minute fix imho

Keitai,
Why not, as I suggested earlier, just post outside pics of the area - it might be that there's a tile or a slate missing or slipping? Or a simple external solution.

Keitai,
Why not, as I suggested earlier, just post outside pics of the area - it might be that there's a tile or a slate missing or slipping? Or a simple external solution.
Not sure when I'm going back. Will do when I go back if they haven't moved by then. Membrane does look like it has a small hole in it

Kettle, can you tell the difference between a valley and a hip? Can you tell tell the difference?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back