Suspend clothes pulley in between joists advice!?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We've a very well used old fashioned clothes dryer pulley which I wouldn't be without (see up-side-down picture). I want a massive long Welsh dresser up against the wall but this would mean the pulley would bash against it when it comes down. I don't want to move it as far out into the room as the next joist only about 15cm to 20cm (i.e. 6inches to 8inches) and it wouldn't work to have the pulley in the opposite direction. We only own the ground floor of our house and our elderly gentleman neighbour has his bedroom above our kitchen. I have assumed thus far that to be able to hang the pulley in between joists it'd be best to bridge the joists at the top which would involve lifting his carpet. I have spoken to him and offered that if he gave access I'd then have his carpet professionally cleaned. He said he'd think about it but hasn't got back to me which I think means he doesn't want the hassle (fair enough).
As you can see the ceiling is covered in artec which I don't like and I do want to have it skimmed anyway. So my question is whether it is possible to somehow move the pulley out and make it strong enough to hold the weekly washing by accessing the joists from below. For info the artec isn't the only plaster up there- it's an old stone cottage and there seems to be about 8mm of plaster. Any advice appreciated. We'd be using a plasterer and possibly a joiner- I'm just really interested in whether what I want to do is structurally possible for now. Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
from a damp point off view hanging washing in doors can cause damp
if you have a modern tumble dryer a load will cost around 20p to dry much easier than risk the damp indoors :?: :?:

As you have gathered, fixing a pulley into plaster alone is a non starter, so you can either cut into the ceiling to insert a noggin which spans the existing joists or fix a timber batten on the surface of the ceiling, getting fixings for that into the joists that are there.
Your pulley system would then be fixed to the new batten, which of course would be visible.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back