Suspended ceiling Load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: I own a residential property ( circa 1900 ) and have removed the old lath and plaster ceiling in one of the bedrooms on the first floor ( the first of 6 rooms to do). This ceiling is to be replaced with a suspended plasterboard ceiling, suspended off of the old ceiling joists which are 100mm x 50mm ( 4 be 2 ), 4 metres long and spaced at 370mm intervals.

The suspended ceiling may well be heavier than the original lath and plaster because of the need to double board in some rooms ( fire seal ), as we have a loft conversion on the top floor above some of the rooms.

I have an esimate of the anticipated max weight per sq metre of the new ceiling ( 25kg /sqm for double boarded rooms) and am after a structual calculation that will tell me the max load that the old joists will safely support.

My feeling is that this is a fairly simple calc and was wondering of anyone could recommend a good Structual Calculation book that I could take a look at.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
4m long? Is that the clear span, unsupported? Tables I have show 4 x 2 supporting that load should be maximum 2m span, give or take, depending on a couple of factors.

Thanks for your response denso.

Yes, the Full length of the joists is approx 4m between the inside edges of supporting walls at each end. If I don't double board the ceiling, the load will be about 15Kg/m2, will the joists support this weight OK?. Any idea where I can get a copy of your tables!?

Put an address in your profile and i'll send you some info ;)

Sponsored Links
:D Denso, Thanks for the comprehensive info, very much appreciated - I will start to wade through this weekend.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back