Suspended floor advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We're in the middle of renovating a house built around 1905. The kitchen for the house is in an extension at the back, this extension is thought to be a later addition but still built in the same style as the main house (block foundations, matching brick walls, etc.).
The kitchen has suffered from bad damp, we suspect because of the concrete floor which bridges the slate DPC on most of the walls (the extension slate course is lower than the main house, as was the floor).

We have started digging out the concrete with the aim of installing a suspended floor. Given the suspected age of the extension I don't believe the concrete floor was original, but there is no sign of how an original suspended floor would have been fixed.

My issue is that the foundation stones stick out from the house walls by about 2", but this is only 2.5" below the existing floor level. This doesn't leave space for a full sized wall plate, and masonry hangers wouldn't fit. Raising the floor is not an option as we don't have the ceiling height to do so.

One thing I have thought about is fixing a 2x2" wall plate above/resting on the foundation stones, fixed to the wall and pugged to ensure a good solid mounting. But I'm not sure this is acceptable or sufficient?

What are my options?

Many thanks,

Mark.

Sponsored Links
I've drawn a crude diagram to try and show the issue.

Attachments

• Rose Cottage Extension Cross Section.png
    Rose Cottage Extension Cross Section.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 253

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back