Suspended floor covering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Just a quick question. In our new extension we have a suspended floor ready for covering. What are opinions on the materials?

I was thinking chipboard t&g panels (as presumably these are cheap) but have never done/used before and have read a couple of posts with people advising that its a nasty product and to steer clear.

Is this the generally considered opinion of the pro's on this site? What would you guys recommend/use on your own homes please

Many thanks in advance.
Bonce

Sponsored Links
Assuming I have got the right gist of your question and you have timber joists in, then yes, 22mm T&G Floor Grade Chipboard would be a good choice.

Sponsored Links
You could use a phenolic faced chipboard T&G flooring such as Weyroc 'Protect' or 'Cabershield' (these are brand names). Both have a waterproof protected face which are alot better than normal P5 chipboard flooring.
Go for 22mm thick even if joists are at 400mm centres.

Use either of them along with D4 Glue on the joists and in the tongue/grooves. Once sealed this gives you a watertight deck, perfect if your worried about spillages etc.

You should be looking at around 8.90 to 10.00 per sheet.

Plywood T&G has far better acoustic properties than chipboard and the only time I see it used is for Robust Details.

As a follow up to this guys I am right in thinking that for a kitchen (that may be tiled) I should be going for plywood right?

As a follow up to this guys I am right in thinking that for a kitchen (that may be tiled) I should be going for plywood right?
Yes, go for WBP ply in a kitchen.

Depending on the span / joist depth / spacing you might want to consider going for 25mm ply if it doesn't mess up your levels too much. Alternatively you could stick another joist in the gaps. You don't want the tiles / grout cracking due to excessive deflection.

Thanks RonnyRayGun, joists are 400 centres. Happy to noggingout a bit as well as really not a very big area.

I think above someone mentioned gluing the t&g - fine with doing that but think they also mentioned gluing down to joists - is that right or am I misinterpreting?

Oh and one more thing my current kitchen is 22mm t&G floorboards - I'm extending that so will use the 22mm ply but do you think the floorboards would be ok for tiling onto i.e. so i have half the floor ply and half floorboards and then I tile the lot? The boards are all good nick, no rot etc.

ta again

Thanks RonnyRayGun, joists are 400 centres. Happy to noggingout a bit as well as really not a very big area.

I think above someone mentioned gluing the t&g - fine with doing that but think they also mentioned gluing down to joists - is that right or am I misinterpreting?

Oh and one more thing my current kitchen is 22mm t&G floorboards - I'm extending that so will use the 22mm ply but do you think the floorboards would be ok for tiling onto i.e. so i have half the floor ply and half floorboards and then I tile the lot? The boards are all good nick, no rot etc.

ta again
No, you will need to use ply throughout.

The problem with floorboards is that they will flex independently of one another when walked on, and this will lead to cracking of the grout and lifting/cracking of the tiles.

That's assuming you are talking about narrow timber boards. If you are talking about chipboard you've got the issue of expansion and eventual rot due to water ingress.

Make sure you put noggins at all joints in the ply.

yeah was talking about independent floor boards but they are t&G - so that still mean they would flex independently.

and thats ik if thts the case ill just order a bit of extra ply and thanks for the tip regarding 25mm - the tiles are gonna cause a step up anyway so may as well prob be sure

Ronny is right - ply throughout - and the gluing was for the actual T&G - so with the play as it has no T&G you would be better off making sure that all joints in the boards have noggins underneath and are securely fastened to them.

Sorry I have caused confusion - my last post did not make sense.

So in my new extension I have 400 centres on my joists and will board that with t&G 22mm plywood. I will glue those t&G joints but I assume I dont have to glue to joists as well as screw.

I was intending this to meet my 22mm t&g pine floorboads in the current house - and I had hoped that these would be ok to tile straight on. So is that wrong? Is it reccomended to rip em up and use ply throughout or alternatively overboard the floorboards with some more ply and then match with the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back