suspension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an aguement with Reg Vardy and the AA that I am trying to get resolved . When a front spring is broken the AA payed for the replacement of one spring but Reg VArdy replaced both springs saying that it is unsafe to replace only one and it is good practise to replace both . This has cost me £200 .00
Does anybody know if this is bull or a standard practise by all companies and is it unsafe to replace one only . Is there a standard or rule for this

Sponsored Links
Springs & shock absorbers should always be replaced in pairs. Simply because they do wear so if one spring is stiffer on one side then it can cause issues with steering, braking & tyre wear.

I recon they should have informed you and explained the reasons, regarding the repairs, before they actually repaired it.
Having said that, unless the car has just rolled off the production line, it is good practice to replace 'both' springs.

As soon as a spring is fitted it will start to loose its tension (springyness) and therefore the balance of your suspension would be out of sync - this would lead to dire consequences if you had to brake suddenly from high speed.
You wouldn't (i hope) even consider replacing only one tyre on your car (for the same reasons) they should also be replaced in pairs.

Remember who travels in your car, your loved ones, family etc... not to mention other innocent road users.

Just be thankfull you never went into a 'kerb-side' repair shop!!. ;)

Assuming it was a Vauxhall Zafira, given your name.

Genuine Vauxhall Springs only come in pairs, at least they did when I worked at Vauxhall. It is good practice to fit both springs or shockers at the same time.

With the new computerised MOT, fitting only one spring would possibly show an illegal imbalance in the Front suspension and fail.

CJ

Sponsored Links
Back