Suzuki Jimny - Water reserve tank boiling over?

One or two mentions of electric fans,unless fitted as extras jimny's don't have them,they have a viscous fan, belt driven.
The rad cap is on the radiator,the expansion tank just has an overflow pipe for discharging any excess from the engine and admitting air so the coolant can flow back to the engine as it cools.
Suzuki's usually don't air lock when filling with coolant as long as heater set to hot when draining or filling.
Renew the rad cap and fill with 50% water/antifreeze.If problem persists you probably have a blockage. You appear to have eliminated the head gasket and thermostat.
Geoff.

Sponsored Links
Try running the engine for a couple of minutes when cold. When started rev the engine and check for excessive steam from the exhaust. After a minute or two switch of engine and remove the coolant cap if the coolant is under pressure then theirs a good chance your head gasket is gone especially if you got steam from the exhaust too.

yes2mud said:
One or two mentions of electric fans,unless fitted as extras jimny's don't have them,they have a viscous fan, belt driven.
The rad cap is on the radiator,the expansion tank just has an overflow pipe for discharging any excess from the engine and admitting air so the coolant can flow back to the engine as it cools.
Suzuki's usually don't air lock when filling with coolant as long as heater set to hot when draining or filling.
Renew the rad cap and fill with 50% water/antifreeze.If problem persists you probably have a blockage. You appear to have eliminated the head gasket and thermostat.
Geoff.

The Manual, 53 MB download ..
www.suzukitech.org/pdf/manuals/jimny/jimny.zip

Wish they were all this easy to find !!

Some interesting stuff on viscous drive fans - not the same vehicle - but the fan clutch will probably be similar..
http://www.landsharkoz.com/tt/ttvfc.htm
Refill the coupling?? Maybe not - again not same vehicle -the pictures give an idea of how things may be put together..
http://www.nichols.nu/tip482.htm
http://members.rennlist.com/blueshark/page11.html

;)

Shorn don't despair! I just spent 3 days trying to sort out the same prob. I have had intermittant probs with our jimny losing water and boiling over. Tried various ploys in the past but I think I got it this time :D .
It seems to be down to the wrong Radiator Cap or it has weakened with age?
What seems to have been happening is that the radiator/cooling system gets pressurised (normal) but the Rad Cap lets too much water out. Then instead of the water being sucked back in it seems to allow air back into the rad. So I tested it by only putting the rad cap on until it rests on the first part of the filler i.e. the tightest bit. This stopped excessive water going out into the expansion bottle when engine was up to temp/pressure. Then as an experiment I twisted the cap a bit further until it dropped into the lower bit and hey presto water came flooding into the expansion tank. So I have ordered a new Rad Cap and I hope this is the answer. At the mo I am drivin around with the cap only just on the filler so that it fits really tight and so far no recurrence of the problem. ;)
Nice One, If I listened to my buddies it would have been an expensive Head job. Denzoid

Sponsored Links
Perhaps an expensive 'head job' is what we could all do with.

water mixing with oil is not a "sure fire" way to know if a gasket is blown. if the gasket is blown over the cylinder....the water will spill into the cylinder and sit atop the pistons and depending on how much water leaks in.....it will burn off slowly. i recommend checking overheating problems in this order to save time and money. (1) cap and hoses. (2) thermostat, water plugs, fan and belt. (3) water pump. (4) water mixing with oil or spilling into cylinder. to check the cylinder...turn each piston to tdc, remove plug and check with light or a q-tip tied to a screwdriver.

water mixing with oil is not a "sure fire" way to know if a gasket is blown. if the gasket is blown over the cylinder....the water will spill into the cylinder and sit atop the pistons and depending on how much water leaks in.....it will burn off slowly. i recommend checking overheating problems in this order to save time and money. (1) cap and hoses. (2) thermostat, water plugs, fan and belt. (3) water pump. (4) water mixing with oil or spilling into cylinder. to check the cylinder...turn each piston to tdc, remove plug and check with light or a q-tip tied to a screwdriver.

You are only 6 years too late.....

Back