volvo 850 fan - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i think ive got a ghost in the heater fan for my car. Ive got a volvo 850 and its operated by a slider type switch with 4 settings. Recently its been playing up, in that if you move it along the slider to turn it on nothing happens. Wiggle it about a lot and sometimes it will come on, snd either stay on or turn off. Usually once the cars been running for a while it will work ok. Yesterday driving home i had it on and decided to turn it off, and it stayed on! No probs i thought im home in a minute, it will go off when i stop the car. Parked turned ignition off and it was still going. Opened up the bonnet just about to remove fuse and it stopped! Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Could be the switch control or just a bad contact. Check your conections
at the back of your heater, give them a good clean.
Quick fit

If you had the fan running with the ignition off,you could have a feed from another circuit (accross the fuse block or wire loom been chaffing on some other part,causing one circuit to enter another).Normally heater fans only run with the ignition on,unless your car has had a rewire done by someone else who bypassed the switch.

A circuit tester and an extra pair of hands to wiggle wires might help. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
thanks chaps. its now refusing to turn off altogether, and ive had to remove the fuse. I assume this must mean that there is a short somewhere, as you say johnny it shouldnt be operable once ignition is off

Back