swa overhead.

J

johnmf

got a swa cable run to do from a 3 phase board to supply a single phase submain.

the new submain point however will be in a different building to the 3 phase db. its not feesible to bury the cable as per usual but cant find anywhere in the regs referring to running the cable overhead.

the plan is to run a steel conduit from one building to the next and draw some swa through that. the gap between buildings is only a couple of meters and not a pathway or anything.

does anybody know the regs regarding this (minimum height?) or can offer any views on this?

Sponsored Links
3M high is the standard if its not accessible to vehircles and in conduit 3.5M if not in conduit.

if it is accessible to vehircles then 5.2M regardless of if its in conduit or not.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/7.13.1.htm

i wouldn't have thought SWA would have needed any support over that distance.

Why steel conduit AND SWA?

I'd put an SWA or split concentric overhead, tied to a catenary. The SWA would bend over time and look a mess. I seem to remember 3 metres being a minimum height, but not sure.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the input guys,

its not accsesible to vehicles no so no worries on that score.

not purposely erected conduit to be honest. there's a 1 and half inch diameter steel tube that passes between the buildings which i was going to use to run the cable through. dont no what its previuos use was but its securelly fixed.

the swa would run from the 3 phase db along some tray, out through the ''conduit'' and into the tray in the other building dropping down to the submain.

better get the tape measure out then and confirm the 3 metres.

Split concentric with pre-formed stays/dead ends - no need for catenary wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back