SWA with 13a for temporary power to shed...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, first time post so go easy.....
I'm looking to put a metal twin sw/socket in my shed, approx 25 mtrs from power source (garage)

I have twin sw/socket already in the garage, is it possible to simply attach a 13a rubber plug to some 1.5mm 3c swa and plug into the garage socket, then run the SWA across the garden (pinned and supported to the fence by cleats),and attach directly into the new metal twin sw/socket to be installed in the shed ?

I have concerns over the new colours of the SWA (Blk,Gry & Brwn) and also the earthing of the braid.

I have BW20s kit, but simply don't know how to use it.

Any help / advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You cant connect a swa into a plug top!,

For power 2.5mm2 3 core SWA is Req.

You would need to have it coming from a metal clad switched spur in your garage.

All outside power is required to be RCD protected.

SWA need knowledge how to terminate, which you would need to be shown how to do!

Sorry but I Can't really help anymore...

Best bet get a sparky in as it's a special location in the building regs 2004.

Grewer9 said:
I have twin sw/socket already in the garage, is it possible to simply attach a 13a rubber plug to some 1.5mm 3c swa and plug into the garage socket, then run the SWA across the garden (pinned and supported to the fence by cleats),and attach directly into the new metal twin sw/socket to be installed in the shed ?
no it isn't.

The braid NEEDs to be earthed using a proper GLAND and BANJO, fixed into an adaptable wall-mounted box AT BOTH ENDS. Also, running it on a fence is not permitted.

Thanks guys....confirmed my thoughts.
How about standard flex (2.5 3c) ran through a flexible conduit for protection ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
flex is fine, but flexible conduit offers very little extra protection. For temporary measures, as this is basically a plug-in extension lead, cant you use artic flex (bright blue or yellow) and string it up high on a fence (so you dont forget)? Just dont fix the socket in place in the shed, to keep things temporary and keep the part p enthusiasts at bay ;) Also, need a way of restraining the flex in the socket . . .

Best option would be to use SWA buried and properly terminated though.

Or if it is temporary, just buy an extention lead and use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back