shed power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have currently got an external ip rated box which is feeding a double outside socket. Am going to bury swa from this box up to a shed newly built. Inside the shed i will be putting two double sockets, one internal light with switch and an external light, also another external double socket so i don't have to trail an extension lead all the way up the garden. Inside the shed im hoping to run two servers and a chest freezer. I'm getting an electrician in before work starts and then once happy i will do the leg work and get him to wire all connections up as in aware thus is notifiable work.
just so i know what price im looking at as in going to supply the materials i wanted to know of this set up is acceptable. Firstly is a gland kit the only way to ho with regards to putting the swa into the existing ip rated box. Is 20a rcd protected mcb in fuseboard ok with what ill be running. Can i clip the swa to the bottom of a sturdy fence or do i need to bury it all the way ( lots of tree roots) what size swa will i need, can i take the swa into the shed and have it termed off into a knock out box or DP switch or do i need a garage enclosure? Can i then run the 1.5mm twin and earth cable for the light and the 2.5mm fir the sockets by clipping them directly to the inside of the shed and should i make sure i get a 3a fused switch to use as the light switch. Also as i want the external light to be on possibly a sensor should i run a spur from the sockets and feed the light off this? Sorry for all the questions its just money is tight and the cheapest but safest is best and although i don't believe the electrician will rip me off i just want to know this is a possible way of doing it as well as possibly keeping costs down. May many thanks to everyone who replies

Sponsored Links
SWA must be terminated with the correct glands - there is no other option.
A garden shed is not a suitable environment for computers or freezers.
Buying materials yourself is a sure way to NOT save any money. It could actually cost more.
A 20A circuit will supply the items required, but the MCB rating depends on the cable size, length, installation method, etc.
SWA on a fence is probably not ideal, but is done like that by plenty of people.
SWA can be connected into many types of box, switch, etc.
If your 'garage enclosure' means a consumer unit, then no, completely unnecessary.
1.5mm cable is also a waste, 1mm is more than adequate.
Surface clipped wiring is acceptable provided there is no risk of it being damaged.

None of the work described is notifiable.

In the main electricians will have a selected whole sale outlet where they get discount the normal idea is this discount pays for any work required to replace faulty items as in the main you will be quoted for a complete job and it will all be guaranteed.

As soon as you buy any parts it means that should any item prove faulty then you pay for its replacement which can cause arguments. Far better to get a complete job done rather than employ an electrician on day rate, whoever if that is what you want then nothing to stop you.

SWA cable must not be crushed so forget any idea of using clips but with the correct ring under the SWA you can then clamp and encapsulate the whole job in epoxy resin but likely that would be an expensive option.

Selecting materials is all part of the job and if you are getting an electrician then for him to issue an EIC he must be free to decide what is used with agreement with you of course. If your going to DIY the whole job then say that don't try to claim your getting an electrician as you will get wrong advice.

Type of freezer is important older cheaper types have a large inrush where the newer inverter type don't have the same problem also if there is any auto defrost then there will be a minimum temperature. As to if the heat from servers will do this clearly I don't know.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back