Swan neck restriction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think there is restriction in a piece of swan neck. This is evidenced by over flow of the gutter in heavy rain resulting in water spilling out from the gutter sides. The gutter is shared by two town houses. It remains possible that the over flow could be to do with insufficient capacity.

From the exterior look of the swan neck, would you say there is restriction in it? What is the normal procedure for diagnosing it and clearing it? The feed into the swan neck is clean.

I am thinking of taking off the bracket and removing the swan neck for inspection and cleaning. I don't want any potential debris to go below the swan neck into the funnel for the down pipe that is shared with a neighbour. How are the swan neck pieces fitted together, is it by friction?

Thanks.

gutter1.png
gutter2.png

Sponsored Links
Check the fall of the guttering is correct (or at least running towards the outlet).
Usually friction and gravity holds them in place, don't be too rough if you do try to dismantle, the plastic gets brittle with age.
A short length of electrical cable pushed down through that neck will reveal any gross blockages.

You could maybe try something like this before having to resort to removing sections?

Sponsored Links
Sometimes glued.
Try running a hose into it
Do you mean I run water into it? The gutter is maybe 8 meters up. Does the water mains have the pressure to get up there? This may be a silly question because the loft tank sits at around the gutter level, and water does get up there. But I have no idea how the water mains work or if the mains water come from different pipes.

Last edited:
What is the normal procedure for diagnosing it and clearing it?
Taking a look inside or splitting the connection to visually inspect the swan neck. Depending on the blockage, it can usually be cleared using the same method or flushing it through.

What I have tried that failed: put an inspection camera in there. It hasn't auto focus so all I know is that the swam neck down to the first bend is all clear.

What I have tried that might succeed: I dropped a steel chain into the swam neck. If it comes out the other end then I know it has a reasonable path for the water. But I don't have enough hands to manipulate the chain and hold a phone cam on a stick to check the other end. Currently waiting for a helping hand. The swam neck is not currently within my touching distance and I have to deal with it remotely.

Last edited:
Why do you need a Camera, Is it going on YouTube?

The swam neck is not currently within my touching distance and I have to deal with it remotely.
If you're unable to reach the area safely, might be best getting someone with proper access equipment to have a look?

I have proper access, just not at the moment. I won't need access if I can confirm it now nothing is blocked. Cam on stick is adequate for now. The exit end of the swam neck looks clear.

gutter3.png

I have proper access, just not at the moment. I won't need access if I can confirm it now nothing is blocked. Cam on stick is adequate for now. The exit end of the swam neck looks clear.

View attachment 272775
I don't quite understand. You're asking people to comment on whether or not we think the section in question might be blocked. How can we tell simply by looking at a pic? Once you have access again, I'd try using a flexible drain unblocker. If this goes from opening to exit without any restriction, that would indicate the section in question isn't blocked. Another thing you can try assuming you can reach and carry the water safely, is to pour water down the gutter opening and listen to the flow. If it's blocked to any extent you'll hear a change in tone to the running water.

I'd be trying these things before resorting to taking it apart.

From the water marks, I estimate the blockage to be in area A. What is the likelihood of the piece at B is glued on? This piece looks a bit anti-gravity to me to be able to hold on purely by friction. If I am able to pull off the B piece, I can then poke a stick up the straight piece above to free the blockage at the estimated location.

The outer dimension of the straight piece is 65x65mm. Wickes does this. I will go there to have a play with the pieces to see how they hang together.

swan-neck.png

Last edited:
Why are you evidently against poking something through from the top to see if it then pops out at the bottom? This would quickly indicate if there was a blockage without the need to take things apart. I don't get it.

I don't want debris to go down into the shared down pipe with the neighbour. The down pipe is on their side of the fence. Even when I have access to the swam neck, it's likely the bottom end of the swam neck is beyond my reach. I won't know until I try. But I am not going to plan for something that has higher risk of not working. Pulling off the B piece is the least risky if it can be done. The swam neck will have no risk of disconnecting into pieces because of the bracket is still holding most of it in place. Any debris poked out will have a greater chance of falling on my side of the fence.

Blocking the shared down pipe could be quite a disaster because the house builder f*ers placed a trap there. You can see the funnel is next to an opening in the wall. A blocked down pipe means injection of water into the properties. The water would be a flood because it comes from the roofs of 4 houses

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back