Swap Kitchen with Lounge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to switch the downstairs of my small flat, moving the kitchen to where the lounge is and the lounge to the kitchen - it would make a lot more sense space wise. I've mocked up the design but someone raised that it might be a fire regs issue as there one one the one entrance to the flat.

I will of course get a professional to sign it off but just looking for your point of view.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-12-03 at 15.55.20.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-12-03 at 15.55.20.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 266
Sponsored Links
What is the existing layout though. Is the lounge currently at the bottom of the stairs, and where would you route the sink waste etc to.

this is the current layout - I'm not too worried about the plumbing side of things, I've already been advised that shouldn't be an issue - main concern at the moment is if this is a fire safety issue - encase it matters this flat is above the 1st floor.

Attachments

• Floorplanner - groundfloor.pdf
    84.7 KB · Views: 247
Sponsored Links
This seems to be a maisonette more than a flat, so where is the exit. The problem as I see it, is that if there were a chip fan fire, you wouldn't be able to get past it to the stairs, so if you're above the first floor, can you get out of the window.

You might be required to change the window to allow you to escape in the event of a fire.

If it's already open plan lounge/kitchen with open stairs, and you are just swapping the kitchen and lounge around then you are not affecting the existing fire safety arrangements - other than needing to swap the heat and smoke detectors around.

It will need building control approval though. And potentially the landlord's permission

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back