Swap Swann DVR for Hikvision - is it possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Solely because I can't get the Swann app to work anymore on our phones and iPads, I was thinking of changing the DVR unit. I have what I believe are BNC cables to my Swan cameras. It it just a simple matter of swapping the DVR unit - my Swann has 4 camera's, a power socket, a HDMI socket for connection to my TV in the lounge, a LAN port and a USB mouse port - I use a cordless mouse from the lounge.

Does the Hikvision app work fine with no glitches?

I'm looking at one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113040240490

Edit. Does anyone know a generic cctv app that may work with the Swann CCTV?

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
well I guess that depends on the resolution of your cameras and the technology they are using.

well I guess that depends on the resolution of your cameras and the technology they are using.
It's the cameras from this kit.
44AC4B90-BD78-4450-8769-B6FD5C2792ED.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Update: the box in the picture that I took the cameras from also contained a new DVR. Then I remembered - a few years ago my DVR packed up so I bought a new kit with better cameras. When I connected it up using the old power supply, it didn't work - it was the power supply being faulty that has stopped the original one from working in the first place! Long story short(ish), I used the cameras and power supply from the new kit and kept the new DVR as a spare. I tried plugging that in last night but had forgotten the password so I refitted the original DVR back......and everything worked! I could now view the cameras on mine and my wife's iPads and iPhones just as before. I could always view the CCTV from my lounge on the TV as it's connected by a very long HDMI cable. I'm just wondering if it was a bad connection on the ethernet cable that was cured by unplugging and plugging it back in that's made it work on the phones again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back