Swapped Old Dimmer for New Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend swapped my old plastic dimmer for a new MK plastic dimmer which operates 2 x wall lights. Since it was swapped only 1 wall light comes on. I had a quick look inside the socket & i think i saw 3 x red wires. 2 reds going into one outlet & the other going into a 2nd outlet. I also saw a black wire but it wasn't connected to the dimmer.
Can anyone advise why only 1 wall light is working. Both bulbs have been checked & do work.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick response. I'm still not sure if the 3 red wires are connected correctly. Should 2 x be connected into the same outlet? If so do you think they need tightened or possibly swapped with the other red that is in the 2nd outlet? Sorry but i've no experience in this type of thing & suppose i should get a qualified electrician. But not sure if someone would come out just to swap 1 socket.

It depends on how its wired, has the black got a red sleve on it?
If so it is two switch lines, and you would have two reds in one and a red and black (red) in another.
You would normally have two reds and two blacks or blues sleved red as these are the switch lines.

Otherwise get a meter and trace back.

If unsure get someone in, and yes someone would come out for just one switch.

Sponsored Links
Are all the 'actual wires' connected?

Make sure the terminal screws aren't gripping the insulation.

DON'T FORGET TO TURN OFF THE POWER.

DON'T FORGET TO TURN OFF THE POWER.
That's why it doesn't work....
images

Thanks everyone for your comments & responding back so soon. I'll have another look at it when i get home tonight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back