Swine flu: panic grows

Better off getting it now before it mutates and comes back as a killer (just as the 1918 pandemic did), in the winter.

Sponsored Links
Better off getting it now before it mutates and comes back as a killer (just as the 1918 pandemic did), in the winter.

Flu can lead to pneumonia and it was this that claimed so many lives back in 1918. Fortunately medicine has advanced so far as to guarantee the fatalities of the 1918 pandemic will never happen again.

Flu can lead to pneumonia and it was this that claimed so many lives back in 1918. Fortunately medicine has advanced so far as to guarantee the fatalities of the 1918 pandemic will never happen again.
Unfortunately travel has advanced so far that a greater percentage of the world's population will be exposed...

And current world production capacity of the anti-flu vaccine will struggle to hit 200million doses by next spring...

In the UK of course we could add the fact that we don't have anywhere to produce any medicines/vaccines, and that we have virtually no over capacity of hospital beds...

so, if this particular strain mutates, I wouldn't bet on 'modern medicine' being of that much help!

Sponsored Links

So you are saying that no-one dies of pneumonia today then? Check out Cytokine storm.

Role in pandemic deaths

It is believed that cytokine storms were responsible for many of the deaths during the 1918 influenza pandemic, which killed a disproportionate number of young adults.[1] In this case, a healthy immune system may have been a liability rather than an asset. Preliminary research results from Hong Kong also indicated this as the probable reason for many deaths during the SARS epidemic in 2003.[6] Human deaths from the bird flu H5N1 usually involve cytokine storms as well.[7] Recent reports of high mortality among healthy young adults in the 2009 swine flu outbreak has led to speculation that cytokine storms could be responsible for these deaths.[8] However, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have indicated that symptoms reported from this strain so far are similar to those of normal seasonal flu,[9] with the CDC stating that there is "insufficient information to date about clinical complications of this variant of swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) virus infection."[9]

Now what do you say noseall?

Who cares Joe?

I certainly dont. So.... it will wipe out a few sad individuals. Shock horror. With a bit of luck it will kill off the junkies first. There a certainly some members on here who I wouldnt miss (or their junkie scum daughters)!

Paul

It's the economic impact that's the problem. I've just about got over it in three days and being self employed I'll be back on Monday but if I were employed - how long can you self certificate for? I'd be off on holiday for weeks.

Ooh, Bognor.

Nice

The home of all the unwashed Guitar wannabees.

Who cares Joe?

I certainly dont. So.... it will wipe out a few sad individuals. Shock horror. With a bit of luck it will kill off the junkies first. There a certainly some members on here who I wouldnt miss (or their junkie scum daughters)!

Paul
So you won't care if it kills your family then eh? Don't talk shite man! I agree with you, IF the virus only killed off the undesirables then that'd be a great thing but even my ignorant medical knowledge leads me to believe a virus cannot select a 'victim'.

It's not the virus that kills you but the immune reaction to the virus - thus it 'selects' the young with healthy immune systems.

The main cause of death during the 1918 flu pandemic was pneumonia and the fact that antibiotics were not available to treat it.

There were of course 'other' causes of death but were largely insignificant compared to the fatalities due to pneumonia.

The main cause of death during the 1918 flu pandemic was pneumonia and the fact that antibiotics were not available to treat it.

There were of course 'other' causes of death but were largely insignificant compared to the fatalities due to pneumonia.
Unfortunately if pneumonia is caused by a virus, antibiotics are no good - they only work if it's caused by bacterial infection...

That's why they're distributing anti-viral drugs to combat swine flu... ;)

Pneumonia is caused as an after effect of the cytokine storm. We have nowhere near the capacity to treat antibiotic resistant strains that are likely to occur in huge numbers of people. My daughter had pneumonia a couple of years ago and needed hospitalisation for five days and a course of very strong antibiotics. Do you really think the NHS could treat hundreds of thousands for a week in hospital? You live in a fool's paradise.

Sponsored Links
Back