Swinging kitchen base unit door fix ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a new kitchen fitted

Howdens, soft close hinges, L shape layout

One of the base cabinets (the corner unit) when I open the door past a certain amount, it picks up speed and ends up hitting the built in oven handle. The oven is at 90 degrees to the opening of the corner cabinet, 200mm from the corner.

Repeated openings and bangings are going to take a toll on the door front. The fitter looked at me as if I was mad, to want to have something done about this. He said it can't be adjusted.

Any ideas ??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Kitchen doors are adjustable .Kitchen design is also important to avoid problems.

Thanks for input. The kitchen is small and limited options for design.

Its the way the way the door swings open after a certain angle of opening and really picks up speed that bugs me. It looks "OK" when it is shut

I know it's a bit lame, but if the design is the only way it could possibly be and the hinge can't be adjusted, then a self-adhesive rubber pad where the door meets the oven handle to cushion the impact. Or some sort of opening restrictor?

Sponsored Links
The kitchen is installed and can't be changed design wise

I wondered if an experienced kitchen fitter would say " ah I know; what that is you need to xyz"

Perhaps it is adjustable on the hinge, reluctant to try without knowing what I should be doing. Or maybe it indicates the cupboard was not installed plumb

Is there a hack on the hinge to stop it opening fully I wonder ?

AFAIK, the standard opening on hinges is 95 degrees.

I have no idea which hinges you have but the 110 degree Blum hinges can be limited to 86 degrees.

Hafele offer similar restrictors for some of their hinges.

Can you see a brand name on the hinge?

A piece of string of the correct length screwed to carcass and door will limit the door opening angle.
Not the best looking solution but very effective.
After all, who looks inside cabinets???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back