Switch next to sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advice how you measure the 300mm from sink/cooker to isolation switch? I have a failure from a condition report that states the isolation switches are too close. It’s odd as the property was built in 1995 and one assumes it was properly signed off. I’ve also had previous checks done without issue. I’m not bothered about rework but don’t want unnecessary blanking and trunking.

Attachments

• 905A53DC-ACCF-480F-A442-730D17D2CAFF.jpeg
    905A53DC-ACCF-480F-A442-730D17D2CAFF.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 355
  • 10FA6454-441E-4F48-909B-6A75C306DD15.jpeg
    10FA6454-441E-4F48-909B-6A75C306DD15.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What regulation is quoted for the ‘failure’. There are no quoted distances in the wiring regulations!

Best practice is 300mm minimum but I have fitted them less than that before, sometimes there isn’t another option.

What regulation is quoted for the ‘failure’.
Whilst I agree with the general thrust of your argument, Regulation numbers are not quoted in a periodic inspection. The requirement is to detail the issue - not a Regulation number in a book that the person reading the report wouldn't have access to anyway.

Condition report for rental.

Attachments

• 49D5AD93-2BDB-4AE6-A624-CFA0CD320B3A.jpeg
    49D5AD93-2BDB-4AE6-A624-CFA0CD320B3A.jpeg
    368 KB · Views: 317
Sponsored Links
Can anyone advice how you measure the 300mm from sink/cooker to isolation switch? I have a failure from a condition report that states the isolation switches are too close.
As said, there is no such regulation. As suggested, I would suggest that you challenge them to tell you what regulation has been violated and then, when they can't, if that is the only reason for the 'fail', ask them to issue a revised, 'pass', report.

Kind Regards, John

Whilst I agree with the general thrust of your argument, Regulation numbers are not quoted in a periodic inspection. The requirement is to detail the issue - not a Regulation number in a book that the person reading the report wouldn't have access to anyway.
Good point, however I was taught to reference a relevant regulation and record that next to the code when writing out the report

That's strictly true (although most would quote the relevant reg number on the EICR). However, even when reg numbers are not mentioned, the "issues detailed" have to be consistent with:
Notes for the Person Producing the Report in Appendix 6 of BS7671 said:
Only damage, deterioration, defects, dangerous conditions and non-compliance with the requirements of the Regulations, which may give rise to danger, should be recorded.
... and, if challenged, the main way in which an inspector could attempt to justify 'an issue which he/she had detailed' would be by citing a regulation of BS7671 which had been violated.

@JohnW2 its fine if I can find someone who disagrees. But I’m not sure I can.
I'm not sure what sort of 'someone' you had in mind, but I very much doubt that you'll find anyone in this forum who will agree with many, if any, of those C2 codes!

It is, in my opinion, quite ridiculous.

Kind Regards, John

That's strictly true (although most would quote the relevant reg number on the EICR). However, even when reg numbers are not mentioned, the "issues detailed" have to be consistent with:
... and, if challenged, the main way in which an inspector could attempt to justify 'an issue which he/she had detailed' would be by citing a regulation of BS7671 which had been violated.
Most don't quote Regulation numbers. In fact you are explicitly told that you're not supposed to.

Regulation numbers are meaningless for those reading the report.

No offence but where I’m coming from the someone needs to be a qualified person able to issue a compliance report.

if the general consensus is this is a try on I’ll get another report done.

quote is 800 + vat to “fix”.

i would go back to the electrician and ask him to provide some back up for his codings. I assume he is quoting for the ‘remedial’ work
... and/or, given that at least some of those C2s are, to say the least, very questionable, one might wave a copy of the EICR at NICEIC 'for their comment'!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back