switch to plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the council out to my electrics last week, my washer was tripping the fuse. So they had to replace the cable in the wall, because it had a nail through it.
The cable that they replaced was between the washer under the worktop and the switch above the worktop.

It got me thinking, could I replace the switch with a double socket? It would be handy to have another socket for the chip pan.

Sponsored Links
Surely its a fused switch, providing a FUSE and ISOLATION for the washing machine. How would you deal with that if you had a double socket there.

But more important: do you rent this property from the council? Does your rent agreement allow you to modify the electrical installation without permission?

Surely theres a fuse in the plug, so it might just be a DP switch?

Also, a plug would surely provide isolation if needed?

Surely theres a fuse in the plug, so it might just be a DP switch?

Also, a plug would surely provide isolation if needed?

It is a switch for the washer socket, the fuse blew in the main fuse box. People fit showers and alsorts to their council houses. I am hoping to get a local sparky to do it.

Sponsored Links
could I replace the switch with a double socket? It would be handy to have another socket for the chip pan.
Assuming the circuit is suitable.

You could, but as a double socket is bigger than the switch, meaning you will have to do some wall-bashing, why not just fit the socket next to the switch?

The switch is there for a reason. It is so you can conveniently turn off the washer.

If you want a socket where the switch is, it MAY be possible to ADD a socket next to the switch.

Pulling the plug isolates the washer very well.
Only if you can get to the plug to pull it.

Washing machine stopped in spin cycle. Case felt like it was live, Mechanic comfirmed it was live and turned power off at the mains before moving the machine. Flexible lead was damaged where trapped between wall and machine.

Damage is assumed to have been a severed earth and then an exposed live conductor in contact with the metal casing of the machine.

People fit showers and alsorts to their council houses. I am hoping to get a local sparky to do it.

But does their tenancy agreement allow them to do this as does yours, or are you going to request permission from your landlord to make this addition?

A number of things will need to be considered if adding an extra socket outlet.
Is the circuit suitable for the addition load, is the location of the new socket not going to be affected by other infusions such as sink/drainer and hob.
Do you have RCD protection on the circuit.
The isolator is there as a means of convenient and safe isolation of the appliance and removing this would be a backward step in safety, so should remain. But if the circuit and location is suitable and permission requested and the task performed competently an additional outlet could be fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back