Switch won't turn off the ceiling light now!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Start from the begining!

Replacing the ceiling light and believe I have connected it right. Then when I try and use the switch the light doesnt turn off!

From the old ceiling rose there was one feed which had a large red and large black cable. Plus there was a small collection of red/blue/yellow/copper cables from another feed.

I connected the smaller cables to the light fitting (including the bare copper one to green/yellow cable from the light, however there is a loose green/earth wire from the light fitting, the yellow cable, plus the large red and black cables!

Where am I going wrong!?! When I took the orignal rose off all the wires were connected to one long black block. Do all the cables need to be connected in some way?

Help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
No electrician but sounds like you connected to permanent live, only one switched cable [usually a black cable with a red marker on it] should be connected to live on lamp the rest are the circuit and live to switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back