Switched Fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it OK to extend a 30amp ring main to accomodate two FCU\\\'s and is there any height restrictions?

The purpose is to install two wall mounted LCD TV\\\'s which fit close to the wall and using 13amp plugs would be a bit restrictive.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
John08 said:
Is it OK to extend a 30amp ring main to accomodate two FCU\\\'s and is there any height restrictions?

The purpose is to install two wall mounted LCD TV\\\'s which fit close to the wall and using 13amp plugs would be a bit restrictive.

Thanks.

yes, you can continue the ring to FCU's. there are recommended height restrictions, but i wouldnt worry too much if there behind the TV

andy said:
there are recommended height restrictions, but i wouldnt worry too much if there behind the TV
Subject, of course, to permitted routes for the cables or adequate mechanical protection........

Sponsored Links
I live in a bungalow so routing is not a problem but what do you mean by mechanical protection?

John08 said:
I live in a bungalow so routing is not a problem but what do you mean by mechanical protection?

cables must be in certain areas or be protected by earthed steel conduit. search.

Burying cables in plaster:

either you have to run the cables vertically or horizontally from the accessories,

OR if this is not possible,

provide mechanical protection from drilling - earthed metal conduit, or bury cable 5cms from the surface.

crafty1289 said:
or bury cable 5cms from the surface.

but by the time you get to this depth, your usually less than 50mm from the other side of the wall

andy said:
crafty1289 said:
or bury cable 5cms from the surface.

but by the time you get to this depth, your usually less than 50mm from the other side of the wall
exactly, its not workable for most situations. And if you are going horizontally 5cm deep in a solid wall, consider the structural integrity of the wall . . . :eek:

one wall in my house isn't even 5cm deep . . . . dead thin, soft breeze blocks

very long drill bit. dril straight down from above, keeping it at least 5cm from each edge. think you could do it? no chance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back