Switched Spur Plug Socket Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing 2 plug sockets, i think i've figured out they're fused spur plug sockets.
On the existing 3 amp combi boiler switch downstairs (main switch is in the attic) there is a label i'm unsure of which i guess is the load live, but it's labelled load A.

I can see both the earth/natural feed and load, and the feed live.
But the load live isn't labelled but there is a load A.

Is the load A actually load live?
Old labelling maybe?

GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

I'm looking to replace the existing sockets with the below fused spur Plug Socket.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A = Active, a term used in some other countries such as Australia.
Not clear why that would be used on a UK item, or why it would have both L and A for the same thing.

That taped up mess needs to be removed, and if the insulation underneath is burnt/overheated, that section of wire needs to be cut away.
Flat T&E cable isn't suitable for wiring to a boiler, it should be round flex.

I'm replacing 2 plug sockets, i think I've figured out they're fused spur plug sockets.
No such thing. It is a Fused Connector Unit.

On the existing 3 amp combi boiler switch downstairs (main switch is in the attic) there is a label I'm unsure of which i guess is the load live, but it's labelled load A.
Yes, it says LOAD - no idea what A refers to.

I can see both the earth/netural feed and load, and the feed live.
But the load live isn't labelled but there is a load A.Is the load A actually load live?
Yes - it would appear so.

I'm looking to replace the existing sockets with the below fused spur Plug Socket.
Ok. That one is much more clearly marked.

A socket is the thing a plug fits into.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back