Switches near hobs

I'm sure the regs stipulate a minimum of 1.5 for power circuits.

Yes! in table 52.3. Unfortunately, the definitions section does not define what a power circuit might be!

IMO, a circuit that does not consume power is one that is not energised….

EDIT Poo, too slow.

Sponsored Links
Yes! in table 52.3. Unfortunately, the definitions section does not define what a power circuit might be! ... IMO, a circuit that does not consume power is one that is not energised….
EDIT Poo, too slow.
Indeed. I think one can but presume that the intention was that a "power circuit" is anything which is not a "lighting circuit" - even though they forgot to tell us that!

As I've just written, that leaves us wondering whether or not a 1mm² circuit which supplies fan(s), shaver sockets or whatever, as well as lighting, is actually compliant!

Kind Regards, John

I also wonder about the definition for "Current-using Equipment"
This is defined as equipment that converts electrical energy into another form of energy, such as light, heat or motive power.

Well, that's everything covered, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I also wonder about the definition for "Current-using Equipment" ... This is defined as equipment that converts electrical energy into another form of energy, such as light, heat or motive power. ... Well, that's everything covered, isn't it? :rolleyes:
Indeed, but I imagine that is the intention - i.e. to refer to any 'load' (in contrast to switchgear, wiring or wiring accessories).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
my misconceptions regarding the power consumption of cookers and hobs have been well and truly smashed!
I think your misconception is due to the terms you are using.

A 'cooker' has an oven and a hob so obviously is going to use more power than just a hob.

An 'oven' (or double oven) - the term you were using previously - does not have a hob and usually uses less power than a hob.

I think your misconception is due to the terms you are using. ... A 'cooker' has an oven and a hob so obviously is going to use more power than just a hob. ... An 'oven' (or double oven) - the term you were using previously - does not have a hob and usually uses less power than a hob.
I may be wrong, but I think the OP actually did mean 'double oven' - and I got the impression from his initial comment that he was surprised that (since it was called 'energy efficient') an induction hob would have a higher ('maximum') power rating than a double oven (not cooker).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks both. You are right - I meant double oven, not cooker. And you are also right that my misconception arose because I didn't understand how these things consume power - it's been a very educational thread!

In any case I'm getting an electrician in to take a look, as a few people have said that I should not have 6mm cable on a 40A circuit.

Thanks for your help again - it makes the discussion with the electrician so much easier when I know what it is that I need to ask for.

Thanks both. You are right - I meant double oven, not cooker. And you are also right that my misconception arose because I didn't understand how these things consume power - it's been a very educational thread!
Glad you've found it helpful.
In any case I'm getting an electrician in to take a look, as a few people have said that I should not have 6mm cable on a 40A circuit.
If the 6mm² cable is just on the surface and/or buried in plaster etc., then is should be OK with a 40A MCB - only if it is 'buried in insulation', or something like that, is there likely to be a problem; your electrician will be able to confirm. However, if there were a problem, you don't need a 40A MCB for your cooking appliances, so it could be reduced to 32A - under ideal conditions, even 4mm² cable is OK with that, so (extreme circumstances aside!) the 6mm² would be fine!

Kind Regards, John

Indeed they do - but, as BAS often points out, Table 52.3 is rather flawed by not defining a 'power circuit'.
Flawed to the point of being meaningless, and therefore impossible to comply with.

For example, we were recently told about a 'dedicated' (OP didn't know why!) circuit for an extractor fan which had been wired in 1mm² cable. In as much as such fans are usually run off lighting circuits, that sounds fine - but it's not really a 'lighting circuit', and the only real alternative is a 'power circuit', in which case it would be non-compliant.
And what if it was supplied from a socket, or immersion heater circuit, via an FCU? Would it be a "power circuit"?

What about a light supplied via an FCU from a socket circuit? Very commonly done, but may you use 1mm²?

The regulations don't make sense, and one cannot be expected to comply with nonsense.

Technical publications , and regulations, must not rely on anybody ever having to say "you know what they mean". If their definition of current using equipment would include cables then it is the definition which is wrong, not pointing out that the definition includes cables.

And what if it [a fan] was supplied from a socket, or immersion heater circuit, via an FCU? Would it be a "power circuit"?
Well, it certainly wouldn't be a lighting circuit, so I suppose the answer has to be 'yes'.
What about a light supplied via an FCU from a socket circuit? Very commonly done, but may you use 1mm²?
If one uses the BS7671 definition of 'circuit' then it could be argued that it is a lighting circuit, and therefore that 1mm² cable is acceptable. However, that's the same interpretation of the regs that says that connecting something to an existing circuit via an FCU creates a 'new circuit' (hence notifiable), so I don't know.
The regulations don't make sense, and one cannot be expected to comply with nonsense.
AFAICS, even if different types of circuit were properly defined, it still would not make any sense. As you said, provided the CCC is adequate in relation to load and OPD, I don't see why there should be a minimum CSA for any particular type of circuit. However, even if they made a hash of executing it, those who invented the concept of Table 52.3 obviously felt differently.

Kind Regards, John

Really, Table 52.3 belong in the On Site Guide, not the "Regs"
Unfortunately, it's in the regs - and, as I've pointed out, there are ways of interpreting it which would probably make millions of installations non-compliant with those regs :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back