Switches near hobs

Are you suggesting that, just as a "matter of principle", we should start wiring, say, immersion circuits in 1mm² cable, given that most people would regard it as 'fairly obvious' that the intent of the regs was to forbid that?
Would such a circuit comply with 433.1.1?
Probably yes, with Method C and a B16. However, I have to ask again (and even though it was compliant with 433.1.1) are you suggesting that we should do it despite the fact that most people would regard is as "fairly obvious" that the intent of the regs was to forbid it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have to ask again (and even though it was compliant with 433.1.1) are you suggesting that we should do it despite the fact that most people would regard is as "fairly obvious" that the intent of the regs was to forbid it?
Absolutely.

I do not believe there is anything "obvious" about the meaningless undefined nonsense in Table 52.3. Accordingly, as this is supposed to be about engineering, and technical design, it has to be ignored.

If they want to specify minimum cable sizes which supersede those which comply with 433.1.1 it behoves them to do so properly.

Sponsored Links
Although we don't know why they wrote this table, can anyone think of a reason why they might have?

Although we don't know why they wrote this table, can anyone think of a reason why they might have?
As I've said, it makes absolutely no sense to me. I just can't think of any sensible reason why they should want to single out "lighting circuits" (even if they managed to define them properly) to be allowed to have smaller cable than any other type of circuit (given there is already a requirement for any cable, in any circuit, to satisfy 433.1.1 {or 433.1.204}).

Kind Regards, John

What about a circuit on a B6, supplying a number of BS 546 sockets? It's all very well to say that it is meant only for plugging lights in, but is that enough to make it a lighting circuit?

What about a circuit on a B6, supplying a number of BS 546 sockets? It's all very well to say that it is meant only for plugging lights in, but is that enough to make it a lighting circuit?
You tell me. As we are agreed, the absence of a definition of a "lighting circuit" means that any number of interpretations are possible - and, even with a definition, I still don't see why they would want to single out a 'lighting circuit' (however defined) to be allowed smaller cable than any other type of circuit!

Kind Regards, John

I do not believe there is anything "obvious" about the meaningless undefined nonsense in Table 52.3.
Although...

Whilst I would not have the tiniest of qualms about declaring a non-lighting circuit compliant with BS 7671 if it was wired using 1mm² as long as it met all the other requirements, I think I'd be able to have a good guess at the intent of Table 52.3 were I answering a question in a 2382 exam. :cool:

...I think I'd be able to have a good guess at the intent of Table 52.3 were I answering a question in a 2382 exam. :cool:
Quite so - that's essentially what I've been saying. However, as I've also been saying, I think I would have to 'give up' if I were asked to suggest the probable reason for that intent!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back