Can I move this switch? And can I add a socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The electrician came around last week to test and sign off on the installation of the new circuits for my kitchen. There are now three extra bits of work that need doing - I set out these below along with my questions. Basically for each, I want to know: 1) can it be done? and 2) can I do it myself?

1) He put in a dual box when he started but realised that he didn't need one of the boxes. He put the switch for the cooker in the box nearest the side panel for the oven - see attached photo.

As you can see, there is about 1cm of space between the edge of the switch and the side panel for the oven housing. This is going to be a real pain when it comes to tiling. Ideally, I would like to move the switch to the other, empty box and fill in/remove the one that the switch is currently in, so I can tile easily. I forgot to ask my electrician about this when he was here. My guess is, it cannot be done as the cable obviously runs down the wall to the box where the socket is currently - so I just have to lump it and do what I can with the tiling. Is this correct?

2) I have a shallow larder unit. There is a gap of about 20cm between the back of the unit, and the wall (long story). There is a cover panel on the side. I have cut out a hole in the panel and put a socket in there. See below. The socket was installed and tested by the electrician. See pic. It's on a ring circuit.

What I can't show you, is that the cables running to and from this socket just hang down behind the larder unit. There is loads of slack in them - if I pulled that socket out from where it is now, I could pull it maybe 70-80cm. Anyway, I would like to put the microwave in the larder unit, and so want to put a new socket on the wall behind the larder unit. I will cut out a microwave-shaped hole in the back wall of the unit for this (god knows how!) The switch would be surface-mounted. I asked the electrician if I could do this and he said yes - just take a spur off the socket that you can see. Is this correct? Reading this forum, it would seem that because it is in the kitchen (albeit all hidden away behind units), I need a qualified electrician to do it. And if I can do it, could I not just add the new socket to the ring circuit? after all, there are lose cables hanging exactly where I want to put it.

3) As part of the installation, I asked the electrician to put in a new circuit for an induction hob, as well as a connection on the main kitchen circuit for a the ignition for a gas hob (we hadn't picked a hob when the electrician came). As it happens, we went for a gas hob so I've got a "spare" circuit in the kitchen, with a connection point under the hob unit and a switch on the wall. This is lucky, because I want to put a plinth heater under the hob unit. I asked my electrician if I could connect the heater to the connection point that was put there for an induction hob, and he said yes - connect it up, and replace the switch on the wall for a suitable fused switch. Again - am I actually allowed to do this, or is replacing a switch for a fused switch notifiable?

Thanks all. I know I'm basically double-checking what a qualified electrician has told me, but I just want to make sure I don't do something that could land me in trouble.

Sponsored Links
1 - If the cables are vertical from that switch, it can't be moved, because the cables would no longer be in the appropriate zone above / below the switch.
If the cables are horizontal, it can be moved.

2 - If this is on a ring circuit, you could add a spur from it, or better would be to extend the ring to the new outlet as you have already identified.
As this is a kitchen, it is notifiable.

3 - This is correct and would not be notifiable.
However it is not a good idea to place a plinth heater directly under a hob, as this would mean either the heater not being used when cooking, or the unfortunate person using the hob will get a roasting blast of hot air on their feet.

Brilliant, thanks. Good point about the placing of the plinth heater, I'd not thought of that! I'll put it under an adjacent unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back