Switching bath and sink placement/plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In re-fitting my bathroom a sink is going to be fed from pipes that currently serve the bath, and a bath is going to be fed from pipes that currently serve the sink. No shower is involved.

The pipes to the current bath are 22mm for hot and 15mm passing to a short section of 22mm for cold.

The pipes to the current sink are 15mm for both hot and cold.

Am I right in thinking that so long as I adapt the pipes correctly (using flexible hose at the ends, too) so that I have a 15mm feed to the new sink taps and a 22mm feed to the new bath taps, it will all connect up alright?

Note that I may choose to have some basin taps on the bath, since there are no pre-drilled holes to work to anyway.

thanks,

Sponsored Links
Just bear in mind that flexible connectors severely restrict the water flow to the taps - particularly noticable with gravity fed water supplies!
John :)

Just bear in mind that flexible connectors severely restrict the water flow to the taps - particularly noticable with gravity fed water supplies!

Oh, I see, because they have a narrow bore?

Narrower than you'd get in an isolating valve thing, which I intend to insert anyway?

Sure, the longer the flexible hoses are, the worse the flow will be - but this may be acceptable with mains water pressure.
Always use full bore isolators if you can (vital with a shower) - they are available with screwdriver slots or lever arm.

Sponsored Links
Will you still be able to connect the bath to the 40mm waste?

Sure, the longer the flexible hoses are, the worse the flow will be - but this may be acceptable with mains water pressure.
Always use full bore isolators if you can (vital with a shower) - they are available with screwdriver slots or lever arm.

OK, thanks. I'm pretty sure I put "narrower bore" isolators in all the pipes to and from my header tanks and hot water tank, is that likely to be a problem down the line? I haven't refilled the system yet so haven't tried it.

The proposed new bath should connect easily to the current shower's waste, I guess that's ok?

OK, I just ordered two sets of "basin" taps, identical to their corresponding "bath" taps except for the connections. This way I will use the existing 15mm pipework serving the current sink to connect straight to the proposed new bath, I don't suppose that putting on a few inches of 22mm just for the sake of mating with "bath" taps would make any difference to flow rate after the several metres of 15mm that comes before it?

Flow rates for the taps are specified and they're only about 10-20% less than the "bath" taps at given pressures, and since I may literally never run a bath anyway I don't really mind.

OK, thanks. I'm pretty sure I put "narrower bore" isolators in all the pipes to and from my header tanks and hot water tank, is that likely to be a problem down the line? I haven't refilled the system yet so haven't tried it.

The proposed new bath should connect easily to the current shower's waste, I guess that's ok?

Yes that's fine.

So long as there isn't the possibility of water coming up the shower waste (and over the shower tray) when you empty the bath :eek:

So long as there isn't the possibility of water coming up the shower waste (and over the shower tray) when you empty the bath :eek:

To clarify, the current shower is being removed entirely, and the proposed new bath waste could connect to what then remains of the old shower waste.

Based on your earlier post about moving the header tanks I look forward to seeing this project progress!

//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/moving-header-tanks-vertically-1m.394642/

By the way basin taps are different from bath taps - the have a longer spout and bigger internal waterways. If you fit basin taps on a bath then:

a) They may not have sufficient clearance over the bath rim
b) It may take a long time to fill your bath

The good news is that with your 22mm feeds to the basin you should at least get decent flow rate up to the taps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back