Switching my electric shower.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :)

I'm new on this forum, just wondering if anyone can help me....
I'm looking at replacing my 9.5 electric shower with a 10.5 one. From finding out about this on the internet i've come across two things; one is that i need a 10mm cable and another is that the fuse on my pull box thing needs to be 45amps... ia this correct?
How can I find out the length of the cable in the shower? Is it just a case of measuring it? Also, is the fuse inside the actual box of the pull cord?

Apologies for the lack of electrical terminology! :)

Sponsored Links
It's borderline on your Cable CSA, worst case would be go for 10mm2 though, you will also need a pull cord isolator rated at 45A.
So you are correct.
The cable CSA is what you are after not the length of it.
To an untrained eye it could be difficult, do you intend to employ an electrician to do this work, if so let them access the situation for you.
There will be a number of other issue to consider, such as installation methods, voltage drop, protective device rating, RCD protection.

Thanks for your reply! :) i was going to get a plumber to fit it, is it an electrician i need to call up though? (i haven't a clue!)
I didn't realise there were all these other factors though :confused: think i'll just replace it with another 9.5 to make it easier!

Do you think there would be much of a pressure difference between a 9.5 and a 10.5?

Depends, I would expect most plumbers to be able to fit an electric shower they must be part p registered though. Which means they can install electrics, this will not be an issue if you are replacing like for like.
I would also expect an electrician to be able to do this work.

But as you were wanting to install a higher output rated shower, from 9.5-10.5kw. It then becomes an issue, as the electrical circuit may need to be redesigned, to assure suitabillity and safety.
The location deems this work as notifable to building controls, unless the equipment being replaced is like for like.

The water presure should not have any effect on the differing values of the electrical output of the shower.

Sponsored Links
A more powerful shower will support a greater flow rate for the same temperature - in this case it will go up by 10.5%. How different that will feel to the user will depend on the design of the shower head.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back