Synchromesh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Car: Toyota MR2 2.0 GT (Mrk II)
Year: 1992

I think the synchromesh is in need of replacement/repair, however not being a mechanic I was wondering if this was a straightforward job, or whether it meant the gear box or clutch would need replacing.

If anyone has any idea of the approx. cost of the above repair it would be greatly appreciated also.

Thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
gearbox.........more than the car`s worth...........try double-declutching ;)

"I think the synchromesh is in need of replacement/repair"

What makes you think that?

In a word NO its not a simple job, will be expensive if you repair your current box or get a reconditioned box.

Sponsored Links
I think it's in need of replacement because when I change into second there is occasionally a grating noise as if the clutch isn't engaged.

It isn't going to be as an expensive job as I thought though, cos I have got free use of a garage and mechanic, so I've just got to source the parts.

Is that the little one with the rear engine and the Yamaha cylinder head?
I think you mean the clutch isn't disengaged too. It usually is 2nd gear synchro that goes first, at least in my experience it has been. Take your time when going into second, you might find that you find the knack of getting it to go in smoothly.

I would think its and engine out or partiallt out job on MR2, if it is you might aswell change the clutch at the same time.

Back