System boiler sounds like it's filling up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've go a Worcester system boiler that makes a weird noise similar to a toilet cistern filling up. It only does this when the hot water is on and it will do it every 15 mins or so even if no hot water has been used. It only does this with the hot water - heating is fine. Pressure is also dropping - albeit slowly.

My theory is there's a leak in the coil inside the hot water cylinder. Nothing on the system is over 7 years old apart from the pipes and the cylinder which is probably at least 20 years old! When the rads and boiler were replaced, the plumber recommended leaving the cylinder as it was working and better quality than they thin copper ones sold today. 7 years on and I think its finally failed.

It's a pig of a job to change the cylinder as its enclosed within a wardrobe. So before I even think about ripping it all out I really want to make sure that my theory is correct!

Any advise or confirmation is greatly appreciated (y)

Thanks,
Glenn

Sponsored Links
is the boiler losing pressure and you're having to top it up constantly?
if not i doubt its the cylinder coil, you would also probably see water coming out of the overflow in the loft too.

without hearing it it's difficult to diagnose.

It is losing pressure and I am having to top it back up.

I'll see if I can attach an audio file....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back