System flush question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have just had a heating engineer quote for our new boiler installation and I'd like to get opinions from you guys about something he has said about the system flush. He has said that the flushing machine is connected above the boiler as this speeds up the installation. I'm not totally sure where flushing machines are connected but I didn't think it was there, I assumed it was at the radiator drain off valve. He said he does this to speed up installation. So is this a normal thing to do and also with this 'speeding up' is it going to be as good as a longer flush done somewhere else. Anyone have any thoughts/answers? Cheers, Ben

Sponsored Links
1. If feasible, get the flush done while the old boiler is still working. Flushing hot is more effective than cold, but you don't want to flush old sludge through a new boiler. Some flushing systems have heaters so you don't need the old boiler.

2. Its better to use the main flow and return pipes to connect the machine to. These are normally 22mm or larger, and give the best flow. The most common place to connect is via the pump, either by removing the pump and connecting to the pipework, or by replacing the pump head with an adaptor.

3. Connecting via a single radiator's pipework is the least favoured method.

Have you got a heat only boiler with tanks or a combi ?

If heat only, and he connects onto the flow and return at the boiler, he will need to remove and bridge the pump otherwise it will likely get kernackered

Either pump adaptor, remove pump and connect on pipe work or main flow and return preferred method of connection, but rad acceptable

If combi, at boiler position preferred, or rad

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back