System pressure goes from high to low when heating off (E119)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Baxi condensing boiler which works OK, or did. Recently, there have been several instances where the system hasn't come on (no heat and no hot water to taps) because the boiler pressure has dropped, giving an E119 error code. Each time, I have let a bit of water in using the top-up loop, and the boiler has kicked in straight away. It works OK but then the pattern repeats itself.
Yesterday morning I did this and then when I came home from work it was showing E119 again, less than 11 hours after topping up the pressure! Then I had the same thing this morning, so the problem seems to have got worse.
One thing I noticed is that when I open the taps on the top-up loop, the pressure goes up very quickly - more so than used to be the case; a couple of seconds and it's right at the top of the green zone.
The central heating was not used from April through to September, but it worked OK until just before xmas, when the first E119 occurred.
A friend suggested there's probably a pressure reservoir somewhere in the boiler which can be "topped up with a bike pump" to use his phrase. Not sure how you'd do that but as it's a water pressure thing, I feel it's probably something I can do myself, being pretty handy.

Sponsored Links
It's indicative of a flat expansion vessel. You'll probably find the safety valve is leaking too and will need attention...check the small pipe to the outside wall. A drip a minute will drop the pressure.
Time to call someone in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back