T&E current carrying capacity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Extending an existing ring main which is on 2.5mm2 T&E, my only reasonably easy route for the extra cable is within an insulated 250mm thick (!) stud wall.

Referring to table 4D5A, I see that the existing 2.5mm2 T&E is rated at 27A if clipped direct. The same table lists 4mm2 routed in an insulated wall at the same figure - 27A.

All other things being equal, am I OK to use 4mm2 T&E for this part of the circuit, or am I missing something vital?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
no problem to use larger cable for parts of a cuircuit to account for thermal insulation.

I suppose what I really meant to ask was whether 4mm2 is large enough for a cable totally enclosed in a thermally-insulated wall?

2.5mm² is rated 21A (for method 15) which still complies with regulation 433-02-04.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Spark. I've just found that out from another source as well. Typically I have now bought a reel of 4mm2 and started the job this afternoon. Never mind...

The only potential problem now is handling the connections - two, or even three 4mm2 conductors in one terminal will be tight, but I hope manageable.

Thanks again.

rustus said:
The only potential problem now is handling the connections - two, or even three 4mm2 conductors in one terminal will be tight, but I hope manageable.

Thanks again.

BS1363 requires the outlets to hold 3x2.5mm² conductors, or 2x4mm² conductors, so two shouldn't be a problem, and not quite sure why you want 3?

Spurs, probably. But best to put every outlet on the ring, then no need for spurs....

securespark said:
Spurs, probably. But best to put every outlet on the ring, then no need for spurs....

Yeah, my line of though was that if he is 're-jigging' the ring, why is it going to end up with spurs on it...

Spurs, as guessed, but I only envisage one - to an external Masterseal socket with single rear cable entry (optional back plate).

MK claim their sockets can take 3x4mm though i'd imagine a deep backbox would be in order.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back