t&g floor board lifting at one end ...please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello...I recently had a contractor install a new pine t&g floor on my front porch. I recently stained the floor and noticed that the floor was lifting at the end between two of the boards. After further review, I discovered that the contractor forgot to put a nail in the end of one of the boards. He then continued to lay the floor and the force of the additional floor boards lifted the floor where the two boards join at the missing nail (it looks like an upside down V or like the roof of a house). How do you fix this? The entire board is not lifting...It is only lifting at the end where he forgot the nail (end opposite of house). It won't go down because there is not enough room because of the other boards. I am hoping there is a way to fix without having to tear up half of the floor (error located toward middle). The stain job turned out awesome and I would hate to ruin it. Any suggestions on how to fix? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
he should screw and plug if it hasnt moved to much !!
do you have a picture

big-all...here are some pictures...its not lifted the whole lenght of the board...just at the end
GALLERY]

Plan A: Wait a year or 2. The boards will shrink unless it's a particularly humid atmosphere and you'll have enough play to flatten down the lump. Softwood floors open up like birdcages in my experience, no matter how hard you clamp them up when nailing them down.
Plan B: especially if it's a trip hazard. Widen the gap now by making a neat saw-cut along the seam and flatten. (Bear in mind you've still got shrinkage to come)

Sponsored Links
Need help. Contractor is avoiding me. Need to do something. Stained and need to protect. Lots of rain in the forcast. Should I put down the waterproofing and worry about the huge mistake later or should I wait until fixed?

Sorry - I've just realised that you're in the States and that porches there are open to the elements. Could take longer for the boards to shrink and they look to be so tightly butted together at the moment that a good soaking could swell them and make the problem even worse.
I don't think I'd have laid close boarding like this outdoors. It's always going to delay the drying out process after heavy weather and increase the likelihood of decay.
I'd try and cover it if really heavy rain is forecast and put a contract out to find the contractor.

with you being in the U.S im not sure of your normal humidity etc.

But you say there is rain on the way? Your wet season? If it is then i would say your decking has been laid with to dry a moister content (dried for indoor use maybe)

To be honest it sounds like its going to get worse. However a simple fix to your problem and possible other problems that you may have coming is some expansion cut into the plank.

I would suggest you cut with a circular saw (and a track/straight edge) a saw cut up the middle of that plank. Then the plank will drop down and leave a gap for extra expansion for the rest of you decking.

The contractor came back yesterday and forced the board back in place with a c-clamp. He put liquid nail as well as a few nails in the board and supported with a 2x4 braced against the ceiling and floor. He then went on to blame me for the issue. He said the only reason the board bowed was because I didn't protect it in time and it got wet from the rain. I told him that the whole floor got wet and its kind of funny that the only place it bowed up is where he forgot to put a nail. Anyways, I am planning to waterproof the floor as soon as it stop raining. I am looking forward to seeing if his fix worked or not. Chances are it will do the same thing again. I will just have to wait and see. Thanks for all the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back