T ing off a 10mm microbore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just had our downstairs radiators repiped (as there were individual pipes running down the walls to each radiator which didn't look very nice) and since then our radiators downstairs aren't really getting warm. The guy to did it says it's because our boiler isn't working properly/too small for the house but I suspect it may be the way he repiped it- basically there is a 22mm pipe running from the boiler thru the lenght of the upstairs and he has just dropped a single 10mm pipe from this and T'ed off all 4 of the downstairs radiators off this single 10mm pipe- does that sound like the right thing to do? It is a flow and return system.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No. The way you had it before ie individual drops for each rad was correct....now because of the 'look' you won't be getting much heat from the rads. They need to t off indiviually. As a last resort to doing this upgrade to 15mm pipe and do 2 drops and feed 2 rads off each of these....but as i said not ideal

Greta, the bloke who repiped it is a monkey. Done it all wrong!

thanks for the reply. Feel very silly for getting this done now but can't believe the guy who did it didn't point this out in the 1st place!

If I upgrade to a 15mm and feed 2 rads of each, will the radiators be adequately hot? Or do I just have undo it all and just live with individual drops to get ideal amount of heat?

Sponsored Links
Am a little unsure as to what system (1 or 2 pipe) you actually have from your description - how are the upstairs radiators connected to the 22mm pipe running through the house?

Do both ends of each radiator tee into this pipe?

The upstairs radiators are piped with 10mm off the 22mm (it's under the floor boards haven't actually had a proper look at them so not sure if they are off a minifold). What we have downstairs now is a 10mm pipe being T'ed off 4 times to each radiator and the water from each radiator is joining a different 10mm pipe. hope that makes sense

Just for a bit more clarity - you said in your original post that he dropped a single 10mm pipe down from the 22mm upstairs and teed each radiator from this. Does this pipe ever go back upstairs? Just a bit confused by the use of the word "single"

yes, a 10mm pipe goes back upstairs but I think its a separate "return" pipe that goes back up and feeds into the return 22mm pipe back to the boiler

The upstairs radiators are piped with 10mm off the 22mm (it's under the floor boards haven't actually had a proper look at them so not sure if they are off a minifold). What we have downstairs now is a 10mm pipe being T'ed off 4 times to each radiator and the water from each radiator is joining a different 10mm pipe. hope that makes sense

this is a joke right :?: :?:

or the clown that did it should be put to the buck and shot :eek:

It may be, but without knowing whether you have a 1 or 2 pipe system, it's a little hard to tell.

However, regardless of the technicality, it would have been more advisable for the new pipe to have been run using 15mm as a minimum, with possible 10mm teed from this to the rads.

When matey-boy did this work, did he do anything such as replace any of the radiator valves (and indeed what sort of valves have you now got?). There are a few if's that we could pursue at this point. However, I suppose the first thing that you could try to pursue would be to attempt to balance the system - info in the wiki is available to guide you through this.

Somehow, I doubt that your fitter would have bothered to attempt this if he's the sort of bloke who likes making his life easier by whacking a load of microbore around the place and then telling the customer that their boiler isn't powerful enough in spite of it being more than adequate before he started sticking his grubby little mitts into your purse! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back