T reg peugeot self adjusting clutch!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Clutch not going far enough to the floor all the time!

Cable can be PULLED forwards 10 mm in the engine and after that works a bit better for a while.

How is the "auto adjust" meant to work???

Tony

Sponsored Links
I'm sure the self adjusting mechanism on these is actually built into the cable and encapsulated......working on some sort of ratchet mechanism.
They get a bit lazy from time to time and sometimes pressing the pedal down and then slipping your foot from it so it bounces up can shock the adjuster back into life.
Personally I'd fit a new cable......someone once mentioned to me that there is a conventional lock nutted replacement available but I've no knowledge of that one.
There should be the free play you mention - by pulling the clutch arm forward about 10 to 15mm slack is normal.
John :)

Thanks John. I agree there should be a LITTLE slack! But this surprised me because there as so much and it was not obvious where the "spare" cable had come from.

Even odder is that after pulling it out, the clutch is now far better and the car is quite drivable.

Yesterday on the way to the theatre it was almost impossible to get it into first gear!

I can make up a "bodge" adjustment by adding a thick slotted washer behind the cable end to improve the setting.

Does anyone else know about the adjuster?

Tony

What you are finding Tony is actually normal....there is lots more slack in the cable than needs be, but the weight of the pedal etc does compensate for this, so it doesn't really matter - in other words, they all have it!
By yanking the cable you have reset the adjuster but it will probably revert back to its original position in time.
I'll leave the mechanics of the adjuster to someone else - I can't comment on that one but your washer / spacer should work fine. Always ensure you can raise the clutch pedal upwards with your foot though to ensure there is still some clearance.

Sponsored Links
Its counter intuitive though!

After yanking the cable I expect it to be worse!

???

I am only pulling the INNER and that should make it worse to my simple mind!

It lasted 70 miles yesterday so I will see what happens over the next few days.

I will try to make a temporary spacer to carry in case it fails on a journey until I can make a permanent one!

Thanks

Tony

Nearly a week later and its still in the correct position!

When I have a moment I will make up a split shim to use if ( when ) it slips again.

Knowing whats wrong and that it can be sidestepped means its nothing to be very concerned about

Tony

The split shim will work perfectly well Tony - in fact what you are doing here is converting an automatic clutch adjuster back to a manual one.

It has slipped again today!

Will have to improvise a shim tomorrow!

A nut of suitable length with a slot cut in the side so it fits over clutch end of the inner cable works well.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back