Table Burn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wife has tried to set fire to our lovely oak table via her oil burner. Any ideas on how to fix/disguise it other than sticking a vase on top?

TableBurn.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's a nasty scorch mark that has gone right through the veneer.....I'd go for the vase / doily route personally!
John :)

how can you lot tell it's not solid oak ?

i'd sand it and repolish it.

Edit. i zoomed in and can see now.

Sponsored Links
I might put in a bit of filler and then fiddle with some acrylic paint. If I make a hash of it, it won't matter as it can't look worse than it is now and I always have plan B: put a lamp/vase/doily on it.

I'm sure a professional restorer would have a crack at it but it would probably involve cutting the old veneer out and splicing a new piece in......price to be discussed!
Maybe jj's suggestion would be worth a look. Such a shame (but we've all done it! :eek:)
Colron make an epoxy wood filler of approximately that colour.....its like car body filler but its yellow(ish) and its mixed in two parts - sets in 20 min.

Any saw mills near you - they may well have some off cuts of oak you can take and then cut a slice and then carefully sand down until flush. you may be able to make it look like a knot

I'm going to take a crack at filling and graining - nothing to lose.

If the table is worth it, what a about suitable size Forstner bit to remove the burn and if theres not a suitable size plug cutter get a slightly tapered plug of suitable grained oak turned the opposite way to a dowel .Easy for me to say as I have a lathe but a local turning club may be able to help?
litl

You could recover the whole top with solid northern european oak for £300-400, you could probably do it for less depending on your skills.

It's just a console table 100cm x 32cm.

You could make a new top using oak veneered MDF - and sort the edges with iron on edging.....
Just a thought!

Where would you recommend getting veneered MDF?

Last edited:
Most of the larger DIY sheds will have something, or timber merchants in your area, there are lots on ebay.
Of course, the difficulty may come when trying to match your colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back