table lamp light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a table lamp that is two core. It is quite complex and has various light elements (six in total) that plug into the base of the lamp with continental 2 pin adaptors. The lamp dates from the 1960's and it looks like the fittings for both the male socket and lamps cannot simply be replaced by earthed versions.

Question is if I run 3 core to the main body and earth it but only have two core on the arms which will be not earthed in certain positions will this fail a pat test ( I presume yes).

If I wire in an inline rcd plug would it pass a pat test?

Cheers Frank[/img]

Sponsored Links
When PAT testing we look for the double square to show double insulated if we find this sign we don't test the metal for earth.

If the we don't find the double square we will consider if it is IT equipment in other words is the earth connection likely to go through a printed circuit board is so we use a reduced current to test, other wise we use full 25A test current. So we clip to some handy metal work and check the earth pin of the plug is connected to metal work and can take 25A.

Where there is an RCD we will allow a higher resistance between the earth pin and main body if we think there is good reason. For example a 25 meter extension lead with an RCD plug would be allowed higher resistance but a 1 meter lead with 4 sockets on the end we would not allow high resistance even if it has a RCD plug as likely there is something wrong.

do you have a picture of this light, an Rcd should not be used to get round poor earthing.

if there is risk of the metal becoming live in the event of a fault, then the light is only really safe for decorative use nowadays, unless there is a means to earth the relevant parts.
in most cases to do this would spoil the appearance of the lamp

Sponsored Links
Below are two images of the lamp. I take it from what has been said that all sections must lead to an earth which would work if the base was earthed as all the body is metal. Unfortunately it is possible to remove the arms in the image from the base whilst still plugged in. In this case there is just the two core wiring from the plug in the base to the lamp.

I understand now that the breaker is not a viable option. I will post later an image of the current male and female sockets to see if anyone has any idea if a 3 core version may be available.

I am not an electrician.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Cheers Frank

The pics are not much help really, the lamps and lampholders are whats needed to be shown, if its a 60's lamp i assume there most likely mains voltage lamps, if they were a lower voltage lamp via a transformer then it may be the arms wont need earthing, just the transformer enclosure,
Pictures of these plugs, a removed lamp and an empty lampholder would be nice and what wattage and voltage is printed on the lamp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back