Table legs on the cheap...ideas plz..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Needing some 4x4 timber to make some sturdy workbench legs, could use fenceposts but would prefer untreated timber as I would like it to be dry and suitable for easy application of stain/varnish.

Was gonna use par but costs about £11 metre, I don't want to spending almost £50 on legs for a bench in the shed!

Whilst checking out newel posts in Wickes I noticed that they are cheekily made from seperate timbers that have been glued together.

Would it be worth me glueing a couple of lengths of CLS together and working from that.

The construction I have in mind involves used threaded truss rods so the timber needs to be suitably wide on all 4 sides.

Sponsored Links
the trouble you have cls has rounded corners and is 1.5" x2.5" and dosnt easily convert into square timber

why not go for sawn untreated and ask for 4x4" finnish but say you will accsept 98mmx51 as cutting 8x2 down the middle is probably the cheapest option whether you rip down the middle or them

I meant the next size up cls, I have some 4x2 cls which is something-or-other x 89mm. The rounding off isn't so severe but I agree would need loads of planing before it could be removed.

I suppose ideally I need to hand pick some fence posts before they get treated. Know anywhere South East-ish that might be able to supply?

Sponsored Links
yes sorry the point i was making is cls is uneven for gluing together as a square

its 1.5x2.5 or 2.5x3.5" so dosnt go together easily without having to trim square

4x2 glued with the growth rings back to back will be extremly stable and will not twist or warp

even if you use treated timber within a year the colour will have virtualy dissapeared as its only a temporary die to let you know its treated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back