Table Top Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had delivered a new European Oak table and noticed some traces of what appeared to be glue on the veneered top, after cleaning it with White Spirit, the areas I removed the glue from, have a high gloss shine and I cannot seem to get rid of them.

I have tried cleaning the remainder of the top with white spirit and applying a bees wax polish but these spots still outshine the rest of the table.

Anyone any ideas how to remove them or maybe get rest of table to match the shine?

Sponsored Links
Fine wire wool, or a scotchbrite pad, you will probs have to do it all and refinish a couple of times to get it all to match.

Thanks for the replies Deluks and Foxhole.

Yes I did complain to the vendor and they have offered to replace the table, it was just that I was hoping that there might be a simple answer to removing the high gloss shiny bits, but it appears not, so have requested a replacement.

Thanks again for the answers.

Sponsored Links
I would avoid wire wool on an oak table, the tannins in the oak will probably react withe the iron in the wool and cause it to stain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back