Tado Extension and Ideal Independent Combi 35

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

Hoping someone can help me, I have wired up the extension kit as per the instructions from TADO however, it will not call the heating.

I have the grey wire connected to the terminal 4 on the tado extension and to the room stat / timer block in the boiler.

I get hot water however, I cannot get my heating to come on.

I had an ESI digital receiver connected previously and that had 2 wires from 1 & 2 on the receiver panel connected to both the terminals in the boiler.

I now only have 1 wire connected to the the Room Stat / Timer block as per the instructions. However NOTHING..

Please can someone help me?

Thanks

Dougie

Sponsored Links
The Tado usually replaces the existing programmer that controlled the heating and hot water on/off periods I say usually....

....but, I'm a bit puzzled when you say you have a combi boiler, but then refer to the Tado controlling the hot water. Normally the hot water control with a combi is on demand when a tap is opened and not connected to any external controls. So depending on that there are two different solutions.

I assume the old ESI receiver looked like this:

1.JPG

SOLUTION 1
If you didn't have a two channel programmer, then the Tado simply replaces the ESI receiver. The wires are moved from the ESI terminals to the Tado terminals that have the same function.

ESI N to Tado N
ESI L to Tado L
ESI COM to Tado COM
ESI NO to Tado NO

Make sure the Tado jumper is in Position 1

SOLUTION 2
If you did replace a two channel programmer with the Tado, then the old room thermostat receiver needs to be decommissioned properly and a small wiring modification made to complete the circuit, it can't just be removed otherwise the wiring will be open circuit and the heating won't operate.

Then the wires that were in '1 COM' and '2 N/O' should be joined together to complete the circuit. This can be done at the receiver end, or preferably at the origin of the cable, then the receiver cable can be removed completely.

Unfortunately telling us the colour of the wires doesn't help. The wire colour would have been chosen by the original installer at his discretion. It's what the wires are connected to at each end that determines their function, not the colour of the insulation.

Last edited:
HI Stem

Thankyou for the reply! My hot water is on demand! sorry for the confusion..

That is the exact receiver I did have that was connected to my boiler. 1 & 2 on the receiver were connected to the stat / timer block on the boiler.

I have replaced this with the TADO extension. With only pin 4 on the TADO extension connecting to the Stat / Timer Block (as per TADO instructions)

MY original thermostat was wireless.

So could you tell me how I wire the TADO receiver to the boiler? should I be connecting more wires?

Thanks

Dougie

For just replacing the ESI receiver with the Tado, the wires swap over like for like from the ESI terminals to the Tado terminals that have exactly the same function:

1.JPG

To:

Tado.JPG

So:

ESI N to Tado N
ESI L to Tado L
ESI COM (1) to Tado COM (1)
ESI NO (2) to Tado NO (4)

Sponsored Links
Hi Stem,

I have these pictures of the original wiring

Pic1 1 : Is how the ESI receiver was wired

20201108_161321-jpg.210939

Pic 2 : This is how the boiler was wired

20201109_171628-jpg.210940

Where the blue wire goes into the Room Stat / Timer block, I have one wire now that goes from there to terminal 4 on the TADO extension box.

Hopefully I have explained that well?

Thank you!

Dougie

Attachments

• 20201108_161321.jpg
    20201108_161321.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 645
  • 20201109_171628.jpg
    20201109_171628.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 698
What readings did you get on your FGA and gas rate after putting boiler back together?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back