Tado: linking UFH to existing HW and CH setup, and is there any point?

D C

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yet another post from someone trying to work this out from Tado's terrible online docs!

I have a Tado doing upstairs radiators and hot water, the upstairs is on a wireless thermostat (that it turns out could have been wired but the old unit was wired up backwards so never actually did anything and I'd assumed the wires were dead!), I also have a separate Honeywell timer unit by the boiler that is (I think) just acting as a timer to do heating demand from the downstairs UFH and control the pump and valve. UFH manifold valves are wired up to three in room thermostats downstairs.

This means that timing for upstairs rads and UFH can be set separately, but the UFH thermostats are "dumb" and so you have to juggle the target temperature so that to get it to actually come on when the system is cooling down you have to raise the target to avoid undershooting, then the temperature wildly overshoots and you end up with situations where you set the target to 21 and end up with 22+! Doesn't help that the previous owner got the floor replaced with tiles so the thermal mass is huge and heating time is very long!

It looks to me like I could remove the UFH timer and link it to the Tado so it's on the same schedule as the rads and let them manage via the TRVs and in room thermostats, or I leave the separate UFH timer and replace the wired UFH thermostats so that they're "smart", but is there any point? Is the Tado thermostat PID decent enough to learn the actual heating time to manage the under/overshoot?

Feels like just replacing the in room thermostat(s) for the UFH is the way to do it if it's worth it!

Edit: sorry for the wall of words!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back