Tails and isolating switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can the isolating switch you see in this photo of my current fuse board, be retro fitted to be inline between the meter and new consumer unit, therefore providing a way to isolate power completely from CU? In theory it would work of course but would it breach regs?

S2500346.jpg

Also the current tails are braided. Would these meet current regs if I retained them.

Sponsored Links
Your ELECTRICIAN who is replacing your CU will happily answer these questions when he arrives.

In short however;

NOTAFIABLE
Q1. NO
Q2. PROBABLY
Q3. NO

NO, this 'switch' is clearly old, replace it with a new one, a few quid FFS!!!

Have not got time to trawl the regs. but it looks to be bakelite and how exactly would you maintain its IP rating??

Those tails are undersize & not double insulated so they are for the scrappers as well.

I suspect your MEB's will require updating, your lighting cicuits may well be missing a cpc

Sponsored Links
It would be more like putting a Focus engine into an Orion, but retaining the gearbox.

More than likely that CU has been around since the days when people drove Ford Prefects, with side valve engines, 3 speed gearboxes and vacuum wipers. Imagine that setup in your Focus.

Maybe it was a safety feature, to discourage you from attempting to overtake lorries in the rain....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back