takeuchi

Sponsored Links
Absolutely amazing bits of kit.....I don't use them but repair them from time to time.
Often powered by a 3 cylinder non turbo Kubota 900cc diesel, basically they are fixed speed and drive a hydraulic pump which is unbelievably complex.
Spares are quite good, regular servicing and cleaning (ha) keeps them fit. Filters etc are available from L&S Engineers etc.
Do it a favour and grease the bucket pins and cab swivels every day - and watch the coolant level as the side radiator often gets blocked with crap.
If you intend to buy, choose carefully - hire machines are usually very hard worked and rarely stop!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Unlikely Nige, Tecumseh were American. Takeuchi have a pretty solid reputation in the Construction sector, solid, well built and reliable machines. Highly recommended by most that run them.

As Burnerman has said though, be careful of used machines, some may have seen a great deal of abuse, or even been tipped over. The hire market, particularly self drive, isn't kind to kit.

Ouch, ours wasn’t quite so stupid, it was a hilly farm and we had dug 7 holes, found the leak and filled in 5. Driving to the 6th and must have gone over a rock with a dip in front of it. Front corner went down and the machine tipped, luckily my mate had his seatbelt on and door shut. Few cuts a bruises but still a reminder of how dangerous they can be.

Luckily the farmer had one of those big Manitou forklifts to stand it back up again.

I think the roof landed on the guy in your videos legs, all for nothing just showing off :(

Golden rule with any machine, if it starts to tip, stay in the cab! The modern FOPS/ROPS cabs/canopies are the safest place to be in that situation. One aspect of safety that has been a vast improvement, I wouldn't fancy my chances in the old JCB's, the cab was just for weather protection!

Golden rule with any machine, if it starts to tip, stay in the cab! The modern FOPS/ROPS cabs/canopies are the safest place to be in that situation. One aspect of safety that has been a vast improvement, I wouldn't fancy my chances in the old JCB's, the cab was just for weather protection!
Another golden rule is to wear the seat belt , its near impossible to stay aboard after a certain angle of dangle and if its fully cabbed it can save your head as well

In fairness, if you try and do stupid stunts with any machine it'll come back to bite you. Sadly, this day and age it's all about paperwork, not experience. I was taught by a bunch of hard working, hard drinking Lads, who soon showed me common sense was King and you looked out for each other. If it looked right, then it probably was right, and to think on your feet. I learned a lot, and to this day, still practice a lot of what they taught me.

Now it's all about risk management, Elf n Safety and arse covering. I know of one large job near me where a guy with 30 years experience wasn't allowed on site as he didn't have the right piece of paper. Lad turns up, fresh from training school, with the right piece of paper, promptly tries to defy the laws of Physics, and loses. Over goes his machine. Job then stops for 3 days whilst they 'Investigate the accident', whilst every other driver with half an ounce of common sense could tell them exactly why it happened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back