Taking a dado rail up the stairs is driving me mad!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a problem trying to work out how to join a dado rail going up a staircase to a piece that finishes with a 90 degree angle. The angle of the dado rail needs to be 50 degrees and has to join with pieces that are 90 degrees at the top and bottom of the stairs. When I try to match up my sample piece, it doesn't fit! Help, please. :(

Sponsored Links
The problem you're having because it's not 90 degree !
Put a ruler on top of floor and the stair string and lightly pencil mark a short line on the wall with both angle then put the ruler from the lower point angle at the point to where the 2 pencil mark meet and that is the angle you want for both side. Either use a sliding bevel or template then rub off the pencil mark. This is the angle you need for your dado rail.
untitled.GIF

I'm assuming you don't have a quarter landing. If this is the case then the problem is that you need to make a compound mitre cut. 45 degrees to the vertical and 25 degrees to the horizontal planes on each end of the join. This is difficult if you don't have a compound mitre saw.

You could always return the dado to the horizontal a little before you reach the end wall, and then mitre at 45 degrees in the corner.

Hope that is of some help, I hope it's right as well !!

helllooo maumaih

if i am reading this correctly
you cannot have a compoud mitre at the corner and have the bits matching

the bit cut at an angle will be longer than the bit cut strait
your 50% angle join has to be either before or after the corner
so you will have raise or lower one or both parts so the 90%
is in the cornerl and your 50% change is on a plain wall

the top or the bottom of you 50% angle can be as little as 25mm
from the corner[6mm more than the thickness of your dado rail]
more if your NOT using a hand saw

big all

Sponsored Links
find the angle between your skirting and the string of your stairs divide by two and cut both ends to that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back