Taking adhesive off quarry tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've taken an old lino in my kitchen to restore the original quarry tiles underneath it. The problem is the adhesive is very hard to remove. It is of a grey texture, probably cement based. I used a scraper but it takes absolutely ages to remove the hard stuff. Any tricks of the trade on how to speed up the removal process?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You could try soaking in a bucket of soapy water for a few weeks to loosen, failing that gently applied an angle grinder would do it .

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Hi,

I've taken an old lino in my kitchen to restore the original quarry tiles underneath it. The problem is the adhesive is very hard to remove. It is of a grey texture, probably cement based. I used a scraper but it takes absolutely ages to remove the hard stuff. Any tricks of the trade on how to speed up the removal process?

Many thanks.

If it is cement-based, then you could use brick acid or patio cleaner. Both are a dilute solution of hydrochloric acid, and will dissolve cement without damaging the tiles. Wear gloves.

Having said that, I doubt that lino would be fixed down with a cement-based adhesive. Can we have a photo?

Cheers
Richard

have a chat with LTP or Lithofin (casdron in the uk), its usually a tar like glue. They will have something that will help

If its cement based it will fizz when in contact with brick acid.

I stripped the whole of our old hall in this manner. I chipped off as much of the adhesive as possible with a chisel and then used brick acid to clear off the residue.

Its a slow process but the brick acid didn't damage the quarry tiles at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back