taking down wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am taking down part of a wall inside my house. I know its not bearing as a neighbour with identical house has done same. i tried at first cutting with stone angle grinder, but it barely cuts and gives off sparks, tried to drill but very slow. i dont know what blocks are made of but seem like iron. any suggestions or tool i should hire?

Sponsored Links
You want to use a dusty grinder in the house? :eek:

I have never come across an internal house wall that can not be attacked with a good old hammer and cold chisel.

If you work on the joints then the blocks can be levered up and off.

Or hire a small [Makita] breaker

once you get the first row out the rest will follow fairly easily. Im with woody on this, elbow grease brut force, club hammer and a couple of cold chisels and bolsters. Lots less mess and noise!

jonnyp1 said:
i am taking down part of a wall inside my house. I know its not bearing as a neighbour with identical house has done same.

Did the neighbour know whether or not there's was loadbearing? Normally internal non-loadbearing walls are either timber stud or breezeblock. If it's as tough as you say it is then there must be a reason for it?

Sponsored Links
I would certainly do a more detailed check on that wall before knocking it down! How big is the grinder? Are you using the correct disc? are you sure you’ve not hitting a lintel of some sort? A hammer & chisel will do it but its bloody hard work; check out all the DIY stores as several of them have had bulk purchase offers on cheap, imported SDS hammer/breaker drills this year. They wouldn’t survive long for trade use but for a DIY wall breaker it’s the best money I’ve spent. I’ve now demolished 3 large walls including a cavity wall with it & it’s still going strong but at around £33, you can afford to chuck it away when you’ve finished!

thanks just finished brute strength and ignorance and no not bearing, cheers jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back