taking light out of shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, happy boxing day. Following my worry yesterday about putting in a shower, I am worried today about taking out the light and would welcome advice before I see the guy doing the work on Monday. One of the guy's giving me a quote for putting in new shower said the electric light above the shower should be taken out (there's a small vestibule next to the shower that has a light and that's enough). So I asked the guy now doing work to take it out. He has. He's capped the live ends with some tape and burrowed it beneath plaster. The next day when I put on the light switch outside the room I got a very bad shock all the way up my arm. He said this was because the plaster was still damp. I'm nervous of touching the switch now. Is capping the live wires with tape and burrowing the in plaster the way to remove a light? thanks for help :(

Sponsored Links
:LOL: No that's not the right way to do it. Sounds like you've got your hands full with this guy. :rolleyes:
You'll get a better answer in the electrical section. I've asked the mods to move it.

many thanks for responses. Much appreciated, especially over Christmas. OK. I'm an idiot. I don't know if he's a qualified electrician or not. When I asked him what he was qualified in he said "everything". He's kind of a friend so I trusted him. Or did. bw Susan

Sponsored Links
Time to stop trusting him, I fear.

Firstly if you're in England or Wales there are legal requirements concerning notification of most electrical work in bathrooms, and secondly the consequences of unsafe work can be far more serious in those locations.

What he's done is unsafe, and possibly unlawful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back